Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Age and diagnosis
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:13 pm 

Hello

My son has a host of allergies (see below) and so far shellfish has not shown up as one of them. However, he has never been exposed to shellfish (he was primarily exposed to his other allergens through my breastmilk but I don't eat much fish). I am not planning on giving him any shellfish in the near future but was curious at what age someone is "typically" diagnosed, if there a "typical"

Thanks!

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:35 pm 

Hello,

My experience with allergies has been not to rely on typical. It seems we always fall outside of typical!

My son was diagnosed at 3 for his fish and shellfish allergy. The allergist however was saying that it probably was not a shrimp allergy as we suspected as it was not typically a childhood allergy but more common in adults. He did perfom the test and it was positive!!

He is now 8 and has continued to test positive yearly. We went through a food challenge this spring because his skin test and blood test levels were low however he got hives and the challenge was halted.

I do believe that it is more common in adults but it does occur in children as well.

Check with your allergist about when to introduce into your sons diet.

Denise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:51 am 

What Triliam said is correct, shellfish and fish allergies are not as common in early childhood, and becomes more comon in the teens or adulthood. I have been allergic to fish since i was around 3 years old. I am not exactly sure when i became allergic to shellfish because i have always avoided, and one day i accidentally ate it and got very sick. Fish and shellfish allergy can occur at any time in like, but the reason that it is statistically diagnosed later in life is because it becomes a larger part of ones diet then, whereas when children are younger, it is not such a big part of the diet, or not at all. I come from a very sea-oriented family, and fish was a big part of our diet until i became allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:42 pm 

Our daughter has tested allergic to seafood since she was first tested at about 16 months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm 

Ds tested positive at 18months for his allergies. We didn't even suspect a fish allergy but it turned up on the routine triggers.
My shrimp allergy never reared itself until I was 18 after 2 reactions I've just avoided it completey. Never been actually tested because Dr's said there was no need. So who knows how it is now.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental