You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Conscientious
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:03 am 

Sorry. This question needed to be removed.

Last edited by nightowlmom on Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:41 pm 

Personally, I would need to see the complete wording to decide whether or not it was appropriate for me to sign for my child.

It isn't always obvious to a non-medical person when an epi-pen should be administered. If what they are doing is covering their behinds in case they don't recognize the symptoms as anaphylactic that doesn't really sound unreasonable. (i.e. will they know bp is dropping if there are no other signs of a reaction) But, if this is an attempt to not have to use it because they don't bother keeping a close eye on a child who has an epi-pen and is suddenly developing hives -- well, that's a different story.

You could also check the laws of your state. In some areas nobody can sign away those rights. If a school takes on the responsibility of accepting a student with a particular medical condition -- they take on the responsibility of doing what is required (in this case administering epinephrine). A parent signing away that responsibility does not necessarily mean they are not still legally responsible. I believe that is state laws -- so different everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:41 pm 

I was just going to add the same things as the above post. Many schools or organizations will ask parents to sign waivers with content that can't actually be signed away. It might be worth asking a lawyer or doing a search online. I've read some legal document online outlining this recently but can't remember where it was. If I remember I'll post the link.