Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:16 pm 

I agree with what Andrea has said.

And frankly, that is pretty sad that your daughter is having to go through this at your church.

If you want some information about teens and anaphylaxis that you can share with your clergy, let us know and I'm sure we can help out. For starters, there is a recent study that shows that allergic teens are more at risk than any other age group, so it is worth it for adults who care about allergic teens to try to help them reduce the risks. The study is called "Risk-taking and coping strategies of adolescents and young adults with food allergy", and it's available at http://www.prnewswire.com/mnr/faan/2701 ... nStudy.pdf .

And as you know, there have been some well-publicized teen deaths in the past few years, including Sabrina Shannon and Carley Kohnen, not to mention some in Australia and the U.S. (a few of which are documented in our Allergies in the news forum).

FAAN also has a brochure called Talking to your Teen about Food Allergy. Might be worth checking out.

Your fears are perfectly understandable, in my opinion. It would be very good to try to educate those teens who are showing so little understanding. Not just about allergies, but about compassion as well!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with the pp's and just want to point out that in both Sabrina Shannon and Carley Kohnen's cases, the allergen was milk.
It can be very hard for some people to grasp the concept that something so wholesome can be deadly.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:30 am 

Very true.

I have started telling people (always in a very calm and matter-of-fact voice ;) ) that for my child, dairy is poison. I think it helps get the point across.

They would not feel comfortable having rat poison sprinkled around a classroom or in their home. That is why I am not comfortable having dairy and cheese around my child in large quantities!!

K.