You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:45 am 

I may have found a "new" bread that is safe for the sesame allergic!! (this is always exciting news, isn't it?). The bakery is called "Mrs. Bridges British Bakery" located in Toronto. Has anyone heard of it or looked into it? The website is www.bestbritishfoods.com and phone number is: 416-661-8663. I just picked up two items at our local Superstore which look like they are okay, and I've called to confirm that no seeds or nuts are used in their bakery, and they are not (with the exception of Christmas time when they make a fruit cake with almonds). The website lists all ingredients. However, the fellow I spoke with on the phone said they cannot guarantee the ingredients received from the manufacturer, but their bakery itself does not use seeds. For the egg-allergic, there are eggs used in the bakery, so I'm still trying to determine if these products are okay for us, but none of the breads use eggs, so it may be okay for us.

I'm always happy to find something new - especially a bread item, but I'm still approaching this cautiously. Bakeries are almost like a restaurant to me - always a chance of cross-contamination. Let me know if anyone looks into this further and has determined if it's safe for you. I will let you know how things go for our family after we try these items.

Julie

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:22 pm 

Thanks Julie! I'll have to look for that.
I saw on their website that they have bread crumbs too - perhaps their safe too.

J

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:04 am 

I called them about a year ago and did not feel safe about eating their products. I spoke to my husband to see if he could remember specifically why I decided not to eat them. His answer was "they didn't make you feel warm & fuzzy". Basically, there was no answer they gave that led me to believe the food was unsafe -- but the guy I spoke to didn't seem to think food allergies was a big deal. "may contain" is not a part of their labelling practics -- and I refuse to phone every time I want to buy something.

If they start adding that labelling, please let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:43 pm 

We have decided not to chance it with eating their products - at least for the time being. I agree with you, AnnaMarie, about the lack of "warm and fuzzy" feeling. Even though the fellow that answered the phone gave me all the "right" answers, he seemed a little blase about the whole thing. I was excited at first, but something made me feel not quite comfortable, so I just didn't go ahead and try it with my son. Having said that, this doesn't mean the place isn't safe for the seed and nut allergic (with the exception of Christmas time), but I need to feel that someone really "gets it" before feeding my son ANYTHING!! Oh well, we're accustomed to making our own "safe" bread anyway.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses