You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:54 am 

I have an allergy to cow milk so I substituted goat milk in my recipe last night and ended up with severe intestinal pain and the case of the runs :oops: (sorry, TMI!) I am suspecting it was the goats milk. I was under the assumption that goats milk was acceptable when you had a dairy allergy, am I wrong in this or should I assume I have issues with goats milk too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:27 pm 

When my youngest was diagnosed with dairy allergy our allergist advised us to avoid goats milk as well, since also reacting to goats milk was VERY likely.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:33 pm 

saskmommyof2 wrote:
When my youngest was diagnosed with dairy allergy our allergist advised us to avoid goats milk as well, since also reacting to goats milk was VERY likely.

Ack! Now I know! I was in horrible pain last night and I thought I had found something I could eat I really, really liked! I am so sad :( I had looked this up on the net and found the same thing. I am so sad :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Have you tried rice milk?

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:51 am 

There are lots of alternate milks (soy, barley, rice and others). Our allergist also advised avoiding ALL animal based milks for our DD - I guess the proteins are very similar and reactions highly likely as saskmommyof2 has already said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:03 am 

I drink almond milk but I am searching for powdered drinks to make pre-made m ixes of all sorts. This time I had made a creamed soup mix (much like a canned cream of soup but better!) So all the powdered milk I could find was dairy, soy and goat milk and apparently I cannot have any of them and the mix was so darned good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:06 am 
Site Admin

fyi, unfortunately yes, as Saskmomof2 suggested - it's very common for those who react to cow's milk to react to goat's milk. Sorry to hear who had such a bad episode.

Karen will know that I found an article that suggests that - get this - donkey's milk does not appear to cause reactions in those with dairy allergy. Now the problem is, where to find a donkey in Canada?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:49 pm 

gwentheeditor wrote:
Karen will know that I found an article that suggests that - get this - donkey's milk does not appear to cause reactions in those with dairy allergy. Now the problem is, where to find a donkey in Canada?

LOL-I hear a donkey in the next neighborhood over from us, I wonder if it's the milk giving type :D (kidding!) I'm so sad to give up dairy! I want to cry and mourne over the loss of my precious pizza!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure that KarenOASG posted somewhere about this product:
http://www.vancesfoods.com/vegan.htm
"DariFree™ products are Vegan Friendly and Vegetarian Friendly. DariFree™ products are potato based and are Gluten free, Casein(Dairy) free, Soy free, Rice free, Fat free and MSG free.

DariFree™ products are certified Kosher PARVE, which means that DariFree™ does not contain any dairy whatsoever or any dairy byproducts such as casein or whey."

Um, no, I've never actually tried it...but Karen has-haven't you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:19 pm 

Just one quick comment about relying on kosher certification (hecksher) for being dairy free...

There are many different groups that provide certification, some more stringent than others. Additionally, even when a product is certified as PARVE, there may still be a dairy risk. It no doubt depends on the product, what else is made on the same line and one's level of sensitivity but I would strongly discourage anyone from relying on PARVE as equating to posing no dairy risk.

A quick check even on "OK" which is one of the Orthodox certifications has this quote:
Quote:
*Pareve foods may lose their pareve status if processed on dairy equipment or when additives are used. The label may give no indication of this processing .

(emphasis mine)
Jewish law is open to interpretation and even OK has this on their site:
Quote:
If the pareve food has only touched the meat or milk food, then washing the food is sufficient to keep it pareve, if the two items that made contact are room temperature, and neither was a sharp or spicy food

There are others who would have that if the product was less than 1/60 dairy, it could be called parve.

So, parve may be suitable for some people with dairy allergies however if you or your child have severe dairy allergies, I would still encourage you to call the company in order to assess the risk. I would be clear that the concern is due to allergy vs. kasruth (keeping kosher)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:56 pm 

Renie is right - you can't rely on the Kosher symbol to mean truly dairy-free, but Vance's Dari-Free truly is dairy-free. It does come in powdered form and you mix it with water. Handy for camping.

I have been buying it for the past few years from a Winnipeg distributor. My youngest used to drink it a lot but now he prefers rice milk. I have an amazing "ice-cream" recipe that uses Dari-Free - the ice cream really tastes like the real thing. It's quite impressive. I can't post the recipe because the creator asked me not to, but I can share it by PM if anyone is interested.

Anyway, I found Dari-Free to be rather sweet and didn't like it as much as rice milk, which I still put on my cereal since I really don't like the taste of cow's milk any more. But we keep some around for the ice cream!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:53 am 

Karen-I still need to find Dari-free but if I do, I would love to have the ice cream recipe on hand!

I'm not severely allergic and can actually take tiny amounts of dairy, which I don't understand but I can have a bite of cheese here and there, even had a container of yogurt once during a weak moment and it didn't affect me. Does anybody know why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:32 pm 

Quote:
but I can have a bite of cheese here and there, even had a container of yogurt once during a weak moment and it didn't affect me. Does anybody know why?

Maybe. I've read recently that some people who are allergic (not intolerant) to dairy are not as affected by yogurt and cheese. The reason being the acitve bacterial cultures contained in them actually break down the milk proteins, so they are less allergenic.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yes, possibly you're allergic to specific milk proteins but not others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:22 am 

Oh now this would be great news if so! I want pizza SO badly! Now my only issue is learning to eat pizza crust not made of wheat/gluten.

Does anybody know what Dari-Free is made from? I can't have soy.