You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:15 am 

Another reminder never to eat airplane food. I hope the woman is OK. The article seems to focus more on the inconvenienced passengers and their holiday plans.

AN Inverness-bound plane full of holidaymakers was forced to make an emergency landing in Manchester when a passenger collapsed following a severe reaction to a nut allergy.

http://www.highland-news.co.uk/news/ful ... plane.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:38 am 
Site Admin

Some article! :roll:
They make it sound as though she did this on purpose to delay the holiday making of the other passengers.
They don't mention how her vacaion was delayed.
Quote:
AN Inverness-bound plane full of holidaymakers was forced to make an emergency landing in Manchester when a passenger collapsed following a severe reaction to a nut allergy.

And the drama meant local passengers who had booked the breaks so they could enjoy hassle-free journeys directly to and from Inverness returned to the Highland capital 30 HOURS later than scheduled – and by bus!

Not all delays were atributed to her anaphylaxic reaction (in which she could have died-at little sensativity in the article would have been nice)
Quote:
On arrival at the airport in Sardinia, they were faced with a delay of around six hours because of a faulty door on the aircraft.

Quote:
At that point, they were told they would be flown to Newcastle, but the delay was later extended by a further six hours so they could be flown to Inverness.

This next statement is one reason why more needs to be done to ensure safe air travel is built into the airlines regular operational structure. This could happen anywhere.
Quote:
"But because the plane had been scrambled from elsewhere, it had not been geared up for someone with a peanut allergy, so when this passenger ate the food served on the plane, there must have been something in it because she took an allergic reaction.

"There was panic on board and the air stewards were running around getting medical kits.

Again, not all the fault of the (unconscious) passenger.
Quote:
"By the time the unconscious passenger was taken off the flight, subsequent problems began following the Glasgow incident, meaning it was difficult to take off and land again in Inverness.

I think I may write a letter to the editor or someone. I am really not happy with the tone of the aticle.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 am 
Site Admin

The current write-in campaign reminded me of this story.
Granted there were additional unforseen circumstances but...had the airline a policy to avoid reactions, this would never have unfolded in such a manner.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb