You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Krispie Kreme donuts
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:48 pm 

Question> are these safe as apparently they donot use nuts?
Does anyone know?
Thanks,
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:46 pm 

I checked their website - the FAQ page at http://www.krispykreme.com/faq.html says this:

Quote:
Q: I have allergies. Can I find out what ingredients are used in your doughnuts?
A: Check our Nutritional page to find out more about our ingredients.

The Nutritional page then says this:

Quote:
Our products may contain allergens. To get further information about our products call us at 1800 4KRISPY.

You can also look at their Nutritional document at http://www.krispykreme.com/canutri.pdf (for Canada).

I would personally call....

K.

Post subject: KKD
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:11 am 

Hi Karen,
I checked their sites and found the same info you did.
I'll call them...but thought I would " throw it out there" incase if anyone else knew.
Thanks!
Shairose

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:37 am 

It's funny you ask, about 3 weeks ago I inquired because Ethan wanted to know what a real doughnut tasted like. They confirmed for me that no peanuts or nuts were on the premises or used in their doughnuts. In Ontario their Mississauga location will deliver to some gas stations, some Walmarts and some grocery stores (in case you're not in the Mississauga area). Just to add, when I spoke to their US customer service (who then directed me to my nearest Canadian location) they said that they were in the process of starting to serve ice cream and that when that happened they would have prepackaged nuts on the premises for those who wanted it with their ice cream (like McDonald's does). The Mississauga location knew nothing of this so I don't believe it's started in Canada yet. The Mississauga location was great, they told me where my nearest drop-off location was and even went so far as to tell me which days of the week they deliver to the location so that they would be most fresh.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:48 am 

mmmmm........doughnuts <picture Homer Simpson following scent>

I called KK a long time ago and I personally feel safe eating their products. They don't have a guarantee like DARE or Chapman's, but they have not have any nuts/peanuts in the store.

Personally, I don't want to get them at a gas station or Walmart. The boxes are not well sealed, and I am paranoid. :lol: After the first mad rush of buying them weekly :oops: they are now a twice-a-year treat for us.

btw, there are sometimes *special* doughnuts that look and sometimes even taste like there are nuts on the topping, but I always check and it is not nuts, it's a crumble. A very yummy crumble. :D

Post subject: Stupid allergies!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:09 pm 

I can't remember what a donut tastes like. My "memory buds" are dying off one at a time. I was looking at peanut butter with such longing, that I kid you not, I started to salivate!
Ok, the nearest KK is about 30 mins away from me!
Darn!
But! I remember once a long time ago, when they were only sold in the US, I drove from Toronto to Buffalo just for KK Donuts.
On our way back when it came to declaring items purchaed from the US I told the officer we had donuts in the trunk.
He promptly pulled us over for an inspection!
Imagine his surprise when he opened the trunk to find 4 dozen donuts!
They were not all mine.....I had friends orders too!
The inspector had a good chuckle and send us on our way home....
Good times!
s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:53 pm 

When they first opened in the west end of Toronto (at least 30 minute drive in good traffic) we bought 4 dozen for four of us to eat. You can heat them in the micro-wave and they are just like fresh baked. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:31 pm 

Does anyone know if the KK donuts contain egg? I'm assuming they do, but might be mistaken.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:46 pm 

Yes, sorry Julie, they do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:06 pm 

AM -- just wanted to comment on the box seal. You're right that they aren't completely sealed around the box, but they do have a very strong sticker seal at the box front where it opens. I don't feel that anyone could open the box without it being obvious that it had been tampered with. That being said, I know that everyone's comfort level is different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:59 pm 

I wanted to go to Krispy Kreme with my pa child and I spoke to the manager on site and he said that if he were in my position he would not let his child go there with a deadly pa allergy so we have not bought the donuts there. I have stuck with Amazing Donuts on Bathurst Street bakery that is peanut free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:34 pm 

ethansmom, I admit I've never looked closely at the boxes. I passed a shelf of them at a Walmart, and a few had been manhandled. I guess that's to be expected, as half the toys in that store are opened too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:56 pm 

Joelle -- just wondering why the manager at Krispy Kreme would say that? Did they elaborate? I was told there are no peanuts or nuts on the premises.