You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DAIRY ALLERGY AND ASTHMA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:04 pm 

Does anyone have a child with asthma and ana to dairy? The ped. wants to put my son on singular in 2 months to keep asthma at bay for Sept and the presription contains lastose, a milk sugar (versus protein). He says he won't react, but I'm terrified to do the test in office. he had his 1st reaction at 5 months to pablum the 1st time, went by ambulance to hospital, almost lost him. Has reacted in grocery stores in dairy with hives occassionally. The ped also said this could actually help with ana reactions as the meds are alread on board if he does eat something wrong, it could actually give him more time or reduce reaction severity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:08 pm 

Our daughter was prescribed singular last year. She is young so it was the pediatric dosage. It was a little pink pill but it was lactose free. I had the pharmacist check this out. We discussed this last year on the forum also. We didn't continue long with it as she had sleep disturbances and temper tantrums on it. In hindsight, it is hard to know if the singular caused these symptoms or whether the seasonal allergies which made her absolutely miserable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

Can you request to see a Pediatric Respirologist?
Pediatricians are great general practitioners but a study of on asthma in young children found that many were not being referred on to Pediatric Respirologists by their pediatricians. The Pediatric Respirologists want to see these patients. They have up to date information on drugs and therapies that general practitioners can't possibly stay up on.
I can try to get a copy of the study (I used to have one somewhere around here).
I insisted on a referral about 2 1/2 years ago and it was phenomenal. We learned so much about what was happening envirnmentally that we could change. It was the catylist we needed to buy our first home and install central air.
Had we thought to have the Dr put his recommendations on a prescription form, we could have claimed so portion of the cost as an elligable medical expense at income tax time. (Mental note to contact Dr).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:14 pm 

My daughter who is 14 takes it and she ana to milk She hasn't had a problem with singular.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:43 pm 

The 4 mg and 5 mg pills DO NOT have lactose in them - last I checked.

Double-check the information that comes with the medication - the first description and list of ingredients is actually for the adult dose of 10 mg - and it does contain lactose. I thought this was for the kids' medication as well and freaked out completely, took my son (ana to dairy) off the pill, called the company, etc.

If you continue to read, you will see the list of ingredients for the 4 mg pill and 5 mg pill (I believe) which is what kids are prescribed.

I wish they would not put the info for the 10 mg pill first, as it has freaked out a few people that I know besides myself.

Good luck and let me know if things have changed with the list of ingredients!!

By the way my yougest has been fine on Singulair (generally - although i suspect in hindsight it did cause him stomach aches for awhile), but my oldest, prescribed for allergic rhinitis, turned into a little monster on it. There is quite a list of side effects, and while some kids are totally fine on it and it really does help with their asthma, others do have a hard time with it.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:34 pm 

I had the same reservation as you do but as Karen has pointed out, there are some tabs that do not contain lactose. Our DD is ana to dairy also -- on contact. She's a candidate for Singulair this September too so of course I did the research. I found this link interesting.

http://www.aaia.ca/en/milk_proteins_and ... ations.htm

Isn't it a kicker? Asthma and allergies run together frequently - who would have though that dairy would be so common in asthma medications?! It was a reminder to myself to continue to remind docs and pharmacists EVERY time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:06 am 

Oh wow well daugther is on 5mg that would explain it....

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.