* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 pm 

From the Toronto Star:

Execution sends clear message
Jul 11, 2007 04:30 AM
Bill Schiller - ASIA BUREAU

BEIJING–Under scrutiny around the world over the quality of its food, drug and consumer goods, China confirmed yesterday it had put to death the man who had come to symbolize the country's shame.
"As a developing country, China's food and drug supervision began late and its foundations are weak," SFDA spokesperson Yan Jiangying admitted during a press conference yesterday. "Therefore the food and drug safety situation is not something that we can be optimistic about."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the full story, see the online Toronto Star article, and also Yahoo News.

Very interesting (to put it mildly), given all the problems with human food, pet food, toothpaste, drugs, and more (according to some articles) coming out of China. But even more interesting is that the articles state that it's more internal pressures that brought this about, and not international pressure. From Yahoo News:

Quote:
... the decision to execute Zheng was overwhelmingly for domestic political consumption, and not the recent international food scandals.

"This is all part of an ongoing anti-corruption drive that the government has been waging, to limited effect, for some time. Nobody would want to be seen as bowing to international pressure in response to the recent outcries," he said.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, well, I hope they stop putting poisons in their food, toothpaste and on childrens toys, too!
It's easy to blame one person but they need to change the system overall.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:44 am 

It appears that the main focus of the whole thing (in China) is corruption, because he took bribes. But as the second paragraph of the Toronto Star article noted, they are aware that their whole food and drug safety situation is not great....

I wonder how athletes with food allergies feel about going to countries like China where the food safety is an issue. Do the Olympic teams have the luxury of having their own food and chefs? I would hope so for those with food allergies.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:38 am 
Site Admin

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/0707 ... ealth_dc_9
Quote:
China has stepped up its battle against substandard and fake food and drugs, new examples of which are reported on an almost daily basis around the world, and this week executed a former drug and food safety chief for corruption.

The Beijing Industry and Commerce Bureau had uncovered an unlicensed snack vendor selling steamed dumplings with traditional pork filling padded out with cardboard husks, the Beijing News said on Thursday, citing an investigative report by state-owned China Central Television.

The bureau had announced a city-wide crackdown of small snack vendors and warned people to eat in "legal" establishments.

Beijing was also investigating bogus rabies vaccines, the Beijing Times said, after a woman bitten by a neighbor's dog injected vaccine she bought from a local hospital.

Authorities found the hospital had been selling phials of vaccine taken off shelves two years earlier for quality problems, the paper said.

Tales of shoddy or unsafe goods have grabbed international attention and called into doubt the made-in-China label but China has insisted the problems are limited to a few wayward manufacturers and has accused foreign media of hype.

Very scary especially about the hospitals! If I was going to be travelling to china I would be very suspicious of enything pre-made.
This can not be good for their foreign trade.

(Mental note-check my oversea investements in my RRSP packages)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb