You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:56 am 

Hi! I'm struggling to get me 6½ month old to accept any bottles of formula!! As I'm still breastfeeding and now on to 2 solid meals a day, I'd like to try something else. He flat out refuses Neocate and Pregestimil (I would too, it tastes horrid) and the Soya formulas the same. It's been a 2 month struggle, I now need to experiment with something else. Doctor does not recommend goat or sheeps formula as the seriousness of his condition indicates it would not be appropriate. Anyone heard or used a formula based on rice or oat for example? I'm based in London, but if you've got a local alternative it may be worth getting it shipped after I speak to my pediatrician, so any ideas very welcome. Helen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:24 am 
Site Admin

Helen, will she take the bottle if it contains breast milk? Can you express and slowly add formula increasing the ammount of formula slowly so that she doesn't notice?
We could never get our daughter to take the bottle even with breast milk, even with my husband giving it to her when they were out (so she couldn't smell me) and she was hungry.
We introduced the sippy cup at this age. I continued to breastfeed until she weaned herself (at 18 months but we were really only down to a small nurse before bed).

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:48 am 

thanks susan. no he's not so keen on the bottle in general, but when i give it with water, at least he won't grimase and spit it out, but he'll play around a bit and drink some. i've introduced a sippy cup for water at mealtime to ensure he gets enough fluid and it's working ok. i suppose i should do the same for milk, but i need to find something that he likes, because the taste is definitely an issue.
i really admire you for sticking at the breastfeeding until 18 months!! axel is my 2nd son, and i'm keen to start weaning him off the breast now as both of them are bad sleepers and i'm just not coping very well anymore. pumping is not my strong side, in fact i find it stimulates more and i end up producing too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

Helen, you've done great to get past the 6 month mark! Pumping never works as well as the real thing and yes, I agree that it does tend to encourage more production.
As one who could have fed the masses, I understand your concern about increasing production.
Good luck with another formula.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Yummy Formula
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:06 pm 

Hi Helen, I'm new to the forum but I read your email and thought I'd chime in. My son, now 2 1/2, is allergic to dairy, egg and gluten and he is the most resistant feeder you've ever met, but thats another story. I got a hypo allergenic meal replacement called Ultra Care for Kids by Metagenics. They don't promote it as a formula but I used it to fill the gaps when I couldn't pump enough and I used it as a supplement, it has everything from protein and calcium to copper and comes in Banana Cherry flavour and Vanilla. Its only available from health care practioners, their website, I think has a list of places to get it. Good luck, it's such a tricky business.