* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Singulair
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:33 am 

Hi

Is anyone out there on Singulair?

They just put my son (21 months old) on a daily dose. It really helped clear up his nasal congestion. I have noticed he seems to have a bit more trouble sleeping at night but nothing serious. But when I googled it I found a website where there seemed to be a ton of parents complaining that it made their kids nuts- depressed/anxious, hyperactive, violent, etc. My son has been taking it for about a week and I haven't noticed major effects but am a little freaked out.

Can you tell me if you/your child uses it and whether they have had any of these scary side effects? :?

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:45 am 

My son was on Singulair earlier this year. I too had read a lot of negative (and downright scary!) things about it, and was really worried, but we had tried pretty well everything else for allergic rhinitis, and so finally decided to give it a try. My son seemed to tolerate it quite well other than some hyper activity, which went away after the first few days, and some sleep disturbance (nightmares, restlessness). We stopped using it, because it simply didn't make much of a difference in his symptoms (I guess it just doesn't work for some people), but the side effects for him were mild and manageable. It seems to vary from person to person.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:40 pm 

My youngest is on it for asthma and has been pretty okay with it. I suspect that some tummy aches were caused by it, but beyond that, nothing. And it's helped his asthma a lot (combined with Flovent).

My oldest was on it briefly for nasal rhinitis a few years ago and turned into a little monster... but it was Christmas and it's hard to tell if all the excitement and relatives being around played a hand in that. We took him off it though. He is on Nasonex nasal spray for nasal rhinitis now.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:17 am 

My 4 year old has been on Singulair for about 9 months for asthma and it has worked well, no side effects.
It has helped with the nightime asthma attacks and with the shortness of breath and that "little cough".
We have stopped the flovent puffer for the summer, but will re start in september.
We give her 2 puffs of Ventolin prior to any sports or physical activities such as soccer or gym class (we don't use it prior to swimming though).

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:41 am 

Thanks!

He has been on it now for over a week and seems fine. We had a few nightime sleep issue the first few days but those have settled down.

It has really improved his sinuses so I am thankful for it right now.

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:58 am 

Glad it seems to be helping!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:42 pm 

Just looking for an update from those of you whose children are still using Singulair.

Ds just started it today. He already has some trouble with anxiety, among other things, so I'm worried about some of the scary side effects too...

Thanks in advance!
Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:33 pm 

Well, dd was on Singulair for a year for asthma and it seemed to help her symptoms. She was however "bat crap" crazy, but I don't know if her itchiness was making her so cranky or what. In March, at the same time, I took her off of SIngulair and put her on new antihistamine AND eliminated like 4 new allergens from her diet. THEN she stopped being psycho! lol, so it's really hard to tell what it was :( Maybe all of it had a part to play in it. I didn't notice horrible side effects when she was on it, though, cuz I didn't know about bad side effects until February anyways, so....good luck!

Daughter, 3 - peanut, tree nuts, crustacean, dust mites, cottonseed oil, sunflower oil, mangoes, mustard, and very mild outdoor allergies, eczema, asthma

Son, 2 - asthma, mild eczema, peanut, mild soy, mild egg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:57 am 

My 7yo son has been on it for the last 2 years without problems. His asthma (mostly exercise induced) is 100% improved-he can run, play sport participate in everything now without getting asthma. He occasionally gets a headache but nothing too major. No problems with sleep disturbance or other anxiety issues.
cheers

j-avoids peanut, sunflower, pineapple all ana-sensitised to maccadaemia.pecan.Passed barley (previous ana) last year...out grew egg ana and peanut at 3 years..became re sensitised with ana at 6 years to peanut.