You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:09 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Seems like everyday...
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:52 am 

Here of late I seem to be adding more and more allergies to my list. I sort of feel like the domino effect has happened. I have used coffee creamer in my coffee since I was 15 and just in the last week I started having a reaction. My lips would puff and my face would itch and I would cough for a few hours. I started a food journal and well its somthing in coffee creamer non-dairy powder and the liquid stuff. So I am really nervous about eating just in the last three weeks I have added 3 things to my list. Well, I just wanted to vent a bit to some friends that I know will understand.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:20 pm 

Karen, I'm so sorry that this is happening. I can only imagine how frightening and frustrating it must be. I hope the food diary helps you get even further to the bottom of things...

Are you going to see an allergist?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:56 pm 

Yes I have an appoiintment sometime in the next week.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 am 

Well here goes I can now add good n plenty candy, ice cream all but bryers, tomatoes, and bananas. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:25 am 

Yowsers - I assume that is what you are reacting to and not what you were diagnosed with? Did you get to see the allergist yet?

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:59 am 

These are things I am reacting to. Also popcorn i can add as well. My husband thinks that my body is just reacting and its my head that sees it so it happens. Um ok don't think so. He is i denil I wish I could be. Three times today my face was pink from a reaction. I am not even sure anymore what I am reacting to. I am thinking that maybe its the corn syrup us Americans use in eveything. I ate home made popcorn tonight thinking it was safe. No preservatives and what not. But my face turned slithgly pink and I got a headache. I go into the allergist on Friday but I am going to call and see if he can see me sooner. :roll: I hope so. I am starting to get nervous about eating. Not sure what i can eat or what i should eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:22 pm 

Momofhalfadozen, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through and glad to hear you're seeing your allergist on Friday. I wanted to share something with you that might be what's occurring with you... of course, only your allergist can answer this for sure! When our son was about 2.5 years old and had already been diagnosed with multiple food allergies, we attended a birthday party for our nephew. We had brought all of our son's food with us, but since he was only 2.5 yrs old, of course his hands were everywhere. He must have come in contact with and ingested one of his allergens because he was covered with HUGE welt-like hives after we left the party. It was horrible. Mistakenly, we only gave him benadryl, did not administer the Epipen or go to the hospital. He continued to react daily (hives) for about 10 days following the initial reaction. The daily reactions were not as significant as the first day, but reactions nonetheless. We were at our wits end trying to figure out what was going on. We were eliminating all kinds of foods from his diet, only to find he was still reacting. Finally, the reactions stopped. We think he was exposed to something that caused reactions for many days. I heard from a friend of mine recently whose son is allergic to walnuts that he had daily reactions (hives) following the first ever allergic reaction to walnut, so I think this can happen. I think a dose of prednisone (administered at the hospital) is supposed to ease subsequent reactions following a very significant allergic reaction.

Take care of yourself, and please keep us posted with any updates. I hope you are not reacting to anything new and have possibly been exposed to one of your known allergens.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 pm 

Karen, might I make a suggestion? Take samples with you of the actual foods you have had problems with. My allergist tested me to the processed corn sample and I did not react, but when he tested me with real corn, I reacted very strongly. It turned out that 95% of my problems cleared up when I stopped eating corn and corn products. You would be amazed at how much stuff has that in it! We have a very good support forum on this board for corn allergies.

I sympathize with your feelings. I had the experience earlier this year of having 29 years of uneventful apple-eating suddenly come to an end :) It was the second anaphylactic reaction I have ever had (the first was to something unknown in thai fast food) and it was absolutely terrifying. I almost used the epi-pen on myself, I was that scared. I have eaten apples my whole life and don't know how things go from being safe one day to being a problem the next day, but it does happen, and it is not just our imaginations :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:06 pm 

This sounds like a corn allergy. I also react to the things that you mention. After a while you will likely find that even Breyers ice-cream will cause a reaction (I believe it is the flavouring). As for bananas, many people with corn allergy react to certain brands of bananas. The theory is that some bananas are gassed with ethylene (corn) gas to make them ripen quicker. I do fine with chicquita brand. Also, tomatoes can have a corn based wax on them. I do fine with vine ripened and hot house tomatoes (washed well with baking soda and water). Unfortunately, corn allergy is very difficult to diagnose.

The following is an excerpt from an article published in Allergy Advisor.

Prof Janice M. Joneja Ph. D., RDN
It has been my experience through many years of managing food allergies and intolerances that adverse reactions to corn and corn derivatives are frequently undiagnosed, and the incidence of corn allergy is greatly underestimated. Because skin tests and tests for anti-corn antibodies in blood are generally negative, the assumption that corn allergy is uncommon has been made to the detriment of many corn-sensitive individuals - usually children. As this case study demonstrates, corn allergy is an example of a food allergy that can only be successfully and accurately identified by elimination and challenge. Corn is not unique in this respect since allergy to a number of foods is often overlooked because the standard allergy tests are negative. We have to keep in mind that because of the high incidence of false negative, and sometimes false positive results, estimates of the efficacy of skin and blood tests for food allergy never exceed 50%, and many practitioners rate them even lower. Even when a positive skin or blood test indicates the presence of anti-food IgE, elimination and challenge must be undertaken to demonstrate that the food does in fact cause clinical symptoms when it is consumed. It is more than probable that factors other than the presence of IgE (and/or IgG) antibodies, and reactive immune cells in the skin, are responsible for the expression of allergy. Until science is able to elucidate the precise mechanisms responsible for all types of clinical allergy, we must rely on carefully controlled elimination and challenge to accurately identify the foods responsible for the symptoms of allergy.

http://allergyadvisor.com/Educational/March04.htm

P.S. I have posted quite a bit of information about corn allergy under "Corn Allergies".