You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:27 pm 

AnnaMarie, I'm at the point where I wonder if everything will fit in the car :shock: . I'll think of you when I go visit 'my' lobster in Shediac, the biggest lobster in the world (it's not a real one, so I'm safe ;) ). I have many pictures from when I was young with this big lobster and I really want to see it again as I still feel that it's my town as that is where I was born. But the important thing is that I will be spending a whole week with my grandma.

it's a long drive, but in the end it will be worth it! (did the price of gas just go up when I plan to drive for over 3,000km this summer??? :evil: )

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:45 pm 

My son also has a peanut, milk and egg allergy. We take our own food with us and stop at the grocery stores along the way every other day if not every day. We travel to central Newfoundland about once a year from Halifax and we always have a car full of food, lots of snacks, in a big cooler. My son likes the chunky, chicken vegetable soup so I always make sure I have a few of these for him for a quick, easy meal. I am not comfortable at all taking him to a restaurant while at home so I would not try it on the road. It is hard to eat in a restaurant with milk, egg and a peanut alllergy, usually there is absolutely nothing that he can have. I was thinking that a toaster oven would be a great thing to take on a car trip if you are able to plug it in. I am going to purchase one just for that purpose, small and compact. Good luck on your trip. PEI is a beatiful spot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:23 am 

Bev, I never thought of a toaster oven, but we were considering buying one of those hot-plate type things. It's two electric burners, so we could heat stuff up.

Unfortunately, we got rid of our mini-van, and now we have this tiny little car, and I don't think anything will fit in it. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:01 pm 

I have the hot plate, but only one burner (takes less place). I like the one I bought because it cools off in less than 10 minutes (I tested a few to find the one I liked ;) )and I can just pack it back and leave. It's nice when I want to make lunch before the hotel checkout time and leave just after. I don't use the toaster oven that much at home, I'm more of a frying pan person... even for toasts ;)

Mylène

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:31 pm 

Obviously this wouldn't work for Mylene, but another option for people who can stomach eating warmed up canned food is to bring along a small egg cooker (basically, a small electric skillet).