You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 pm 

Does anyone know if Kellogg's brand fruit snacks contain gluten?

They used modified corn starch and the "natural flavorings" ingredient.

Their website has an allergy disclaimer saying that if an allergen is in the product then they will list it in the ingredients and that they do a "may contain" warning for peanuts and tree nuts as necessary.

Nothing on their fruit snacks package lists that allergens are contained but I did read on another website about someone being told by the company that their food is not gluten free.
I called today and received a message that all of the customer service reps were in training today. Let's hope that it is allergy training! :lol:

Me allergy to morphine only

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:40 pm 

I do know that they label for the top 10 Canadian allergens so I would like to think that they would include that in their labelling. My understanding is that if they feel that their "allergen management procedures" ensure that the allergen will not be present in the product, they will not label "may contain" - which makes sense.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:03 pm 

Thanks Karen

I read their info on their website and they said if any allergen is in the ingredient or if there is a concern of cross contaimination they would label for it. So I gave him some fruit snacks today and he really like them, ate about 5 or so. Then we went into the grocery store and he just didn't look all that great. No hives or anything just didn't look happy. Within about 30 minutes he threw up. Just a little (managed to put a diaper under his mouth while he was in the cart!) so I wiped him up and he seemed to recover just fine. Can't be a 100% sure it was the fruit snacks but not sure I feel comfortable giving them to him again. I am now going to call the company again, I guess I should have waited before giving them to him :oops: I guess since Kellogg's is a breakfast company and my son does have a mild oat allergy, they could process with oat cereal and not label it given it isn't one of the 10. I didn't think of that until right now.... ugh.

I will let you know what I find out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm 

Well I just called and they claim that their fruit snacks should be safe- no oat concerns either according to the person I spoke to.

Maybe I will wait awhile and try them again (maybe from a different batch). of course his 'reaction' did occur pretty close to the fruit snacks but we did go to a bookstore for a quick stop in between so maybe he picked up something? Hard to know, at least his bout of vomiting wasn't severe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:16 pm 

When you say "5 fruit snacks", do you mean 5 tiny little bite-sized things? Or 5 things the size of the SunRype fruit snacks (those sort of very thin bars)?

'Cause if I ate 5 of those bars, I'd probably throw up too. They're pretty rich.

If it's the tiny things... I agree, it's a bit worrisome.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:00 pm 

LOL

Yes five bite sized piecs. I gave one bag to this brother and one to him. I figure each bag has about 8 or 9 pieces but I found several pieces on the floor so I know he didn't eat the whole bag.

Then tonight he had a rash under his neck, halfway down his chest and a couple down his arms by his armpits. But the rash didn't show up until about 6 hours after the frut snacks??? He got into something today but I just dont know what it could be.

His brother was eating sunflower seeds but I made sure they were a safe-not-processed-with-tree nuts brand. Could it be he could be allergic to sunflower seeds? Not sure how likely that is though. The last time he was given his RAST they only tested him for his current allergens and cats. No test for sesame, sunflower seeds, or anything like that. Hmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:39 am 

I was just thinking, should i have the fruit snacks tested? Or do they only do that when there is a severe reaction? If I am to have them tested, who does this? Who should I call?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:55 pm 

Oh how I dislike those days - when there is a reaction or something going on but you can't pinpoint it. In our case, our daughter is contact sensitive, so in truth we run into more days than we care where we have unexplained hives and sometimes tummy upset.

I am posting the information about getting foods tested. The only time I called was when she anaphlyaxed and trace dairy was suspected. I am not sure if there is specific criteria they want you to meet but you might want to run down all the possibilities before calling (did he touch something his allergens had been on and touch his mouth?, is it just a virus - tummy bug and viral hives? whole new allergy?). We have had the odd incident and tied it in our minds to the newest food, since we look for direct, accountable ingestion to explain what we don't know.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with an unknown. I hope that it is not a new challenge. Be good to yourself while you try to problem solve.

Ethansmom had provided this in a post previously:
Food Safety
Q. How do I report a potential food safety incident?
A. If you believe a product presents a health and safety risk, you can report a potential food safety incident to the CFIA:

* by contacting an area recall coordinator: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... ml#contact
* through the Internet at cfiamaster@inspection.gc.ca
* by telephone at 1-800-442-2342

I had also been provided with this number: "Complaints Department" for Food Safety and Recall 416-665-5055

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:13 pm 

Also make sure you keep samples of the food that the person reacted to. Without it there is not much they can do...

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:38 pm 

I still have the box but decided not to call since the reaction was relatively minor. He has contact reactions to some foods (we know for sure milk and think he reacts to bread crumbs/wheat too). But this did seem more likely something he ingested.

But then yesteday we were at a toy store and I look over and he is starting to put something in his mouth that he found on the floor, and run over and lo and behold it is an M&M. I pried it out (forutnately he is used to running over to him and instructing him to open his mouth so he complies pretty well). I thought, great if I had been looking the other way would that have meant of a trip to the hospital with me having no idea what casued that reaction? Luckily the candy shell probably saved us otherwise the chocolate would have started melting in his mouth. Watched him for a couple of hours and no reaction.

But this situation got me thinking that it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility that he picked up something at the bookstore when I wasn't looking. He has so many allergens he is surrounded by them no matter where we go. Luckily no severe reactions. I can't wait until he is old enough to understand that he shouldn't put food off of the floor in his mouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:48 pm 

It really does get a LOT easier when they are older and resist the temptation to shove things in their mouth!!

I sooo do not miss the days when my guys were little and that anxiety was omnipresent - and I was pretty lucky in that they were pretty good at not putting too many things in their mouth.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:35 pm 

Just wanted to update on the fruit snacks. I did end up trying them again and no reaction this time. He has had them three times total and seems to be fine. I just wanted to post that in case my earlier post made anyone question whether their product is safe
:D