You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:25 pm 

Hello everyone!

My sister is obsessed with pink - to the point that whenever I see anything pink (even if it's completely unrelated to anything she would like) I would think of her and want to buy it. All our friends and family would agree with me and do the same. Pink insanity!

Anyway...!
So this week is her bridal shower with her friends (as opposed to our older family members), and it's basically entitled "you like pink? YOU GOT IT!" and it's a PINK OVERLOAD!

I am making EVERYTHING on the menu pink - and if it's already not pink, well, then I am going to make it pink (I won't use dye, but instead use natural beet juice... But I want to avoid that if I can because then I have to make that, too).

I do have ideas, but I am wondering if anyone is feeling super creative and can think of anything! I am looking for just snacks/desserts, but am open to anything.

I cannot use any pre-made ingredients, so nothing with cheese or cream cheese, and so on. I'm gluten and dairy free, but a great cook so can make anything taste the same - I just can't use premade ingredients.

Thank you! I look forward to the replies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:24 am 

I googled. There is a *think pink* recipe page

www.slashfood.com/2006/10/06/pink-recip ... -awareness

I did a quick look, and there are recipes for drinks and snacks -- probably more. Have fun at the shower. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:26 am 

Put salsa in the blender and get it really nice and smooth. Add it to room tempeture cream cheese and serve it with chips, or pretzels.

You could also get wine cheese it is pink. Add red jello to a white cake and it makes it pink.

Strawberry ice cream to sprite with marchino cherries and it makes a pink punch.

Strawberry glaze drizzled over a white angel food cake turns pink.

I have pink girl too.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:27 am 

Thanks so far!
I can't use cheese or premade products, though, as I mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:41 am 

Do you have access to an ice-cream maker? You could make strawberry or raspberry sorbet. When I make it, I put it in those tiny round Ziploc containers that hold almost nothing, and then turn them out upside down in a dessert bowl (with a leaf of mint on it - but you could do the fruit), and it looks really pretty. Only has fruit, sugar and water in it.

I also have an amazing strawberry mousse recipe that is made with silken tofu - pretty much strawberries, tofu and sugar - let me know if you want it.

What about strawberry daiquiris? That would be fun - alcoholic and non-alcoholic could be done.

My DH likes to make strawberry tarts... Not sure if that would be too much work. You could also do strawberries dipped in safe chocolate - or just dipped in sugar (maybe pink sugar if you could find it ).

Maybe a punch that has strawberries or raspberries floating in it made of that pink cranberry pop and pink lemonade?

:) K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:41 am 

Woot sorry I was half asleep when I read your post will keep thinking.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:23 am 

We had a "think pink" party for my youngest sister a few years ago. We had ham and chicken salad finger sandwiches. For the chicken salad we used finely chopped celery, green onions and walnuts, and craisins, and a creamy dressing tinted with a little beet juice to make it pink. We used sour cream with vinegar and seasonings to make our creamy dressing (can't have mayo because of egg allergy), but a similar soy based product would do just as well.
We had pink fruit salad (watermelon, strawberries etc.), and pink sugar cookies (did have to use artificial colouring for these, because the pink will bake right out with beet juice) and a cake frosted with pink and studded with those pink and black licorice candies.
For drinks we had pink juice cocktails, and rooibos tea (with a little milk/soy milk it turns a lovely shade of pink).

Not sure if any of this helps? I'm not that familiar with cooking gluten-free, and not sure which substitutions you can/can't make. Hope you have a great shower!

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:48 pm 

I'm sorry about mentioning chocolate as well - obviously safe chocolate might not exist for you with the casein and cocoa combo...!!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:47 pm 

twinmom - thanks for letting me know about the beet juice in the cookies! i would have been quite frustrated with that one.

karen - for a fruit dip, i am going to do basically that - tofu with raspberries and a bit of honey, so it's quite similiar!

thanks everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:34 pm 
Site Admin

Is it too late to make suggestions?
food which come to mind are:
Craisins, raspberries, strawberries,watermelon, pomegrante, rhubarb, cherries, tomatoes, raddichio, red peppers, radishes, red cabbage, red swiss chard, red leaf lettuce, red skinned potatoes, red onion, salsa, spaghetti sauce, chinese BBQ pork (has that pink tinge)

You could do a salad with craisins or pomegrante seeds in it.
Swedish meatballs, salmon mousse, pin-wheel sandwiches with pink bread, wraps with tomato tortillas, tri-cloured rotini salad (pick out the green)
Bar cookies with white chocolate (is there any dairy in that?) and craisins
Strawberry and rhubarb crumble
Cherry cheese cake (search on line for vegan recipes)
When all else fails theres always jello salad.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:20 pm 

thanks! i've enough now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 10:17 pm 

Thank you for everyone's ideas. The event was today and it was a success! Your creative input helped keep my inspiration alive. Thanks again. :)