You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:48 pm 

Hello I am so glad that I found this site!

I am new to peanut allergy and thought I had a handle on it but I don't!!!! (at least I don't feel that way)
My two daughters both have peanut/nut allergies I thought reading the labels was good enough for food but after reading more info I know its not. How do you know when you can trust a label or do you ever? Some companies that I have called are so bad about providing info.
I have been told to watch out for creams shampoos etc but when you look at the bottle there is nothing listed on most, and what exactly should I be looking for....will it say peanut oil?? Do you call all the companies?
And dog food /cat food, I cannot get an answer out of them. I never even thought of it until I read a post on here about it. OHHHHHH so much to learn Does it get any easier?
Feeling very overwhelmed thanks for listening and if you have any helpful info for a newbie I would LOVE to hear it!!!

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:11 pm 

Hi there, and welcome to the club that nobody wants to join -- but everyone gets welcomed into. :D

First of all, yes -- it does get easier.

Some important questions before we can answer your questions: is peanut the only food allergy you are dealing with? What country are you in? The same product produced in one country may be safe, but in another it isn't. What are the ages of your children? (The younger the child, the more precautions you may feel are necessary. Also, with children there may be concerns about day care or school.)

I don't have any pets, but I have heard that some pet foods have peanutbutter in them. While I wouldn't want that food in my home, I (personally) would not be concerned about a dog food that *may contain trace amounts*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:47 pm 

Hi AnnaMarie thanks for the reply

I live in Ontario in the GTA I have twin girls 3 both have a peanut -tree nut allergy and no other food allergies that are confirmed but I think we may have more. The girls will be going to school for the first time this fall .....that is another worry :shock: I am a stay at home mom and never had them in day care.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Welcome, welcome Mom2girls. We actually have several other moms of twins with food allergies on this forum.

Off-to-school time is a little daunting for every parent of an allergic child, but the better news is that Ontario is the first place in North America to have passed Sabrina's Law, which has procedures for schools to follow to prevent accidental exposures and which requires teachers and other staff to be trained about food allergies and on the use of an auto-injector.

If you're not familiar with the law, you can read up about it here:
http://www.allergicliving.com/features.asp?copy_id=41

Even with Sabrina's Law in place, it is still advisable to meet with your school principal before school starts and the girls' teacher / teachers to make sure they are fully aware of the girls' allergies and where they carry their EpiPen Jrs.

You'll see many conversations about school meetings under threads on these boards such as "Schools" or "Parenting". Hope you find the site helpful. The other good news is that peanut allergy has received so much attention that more and more people in society "get" the seriousness of it. Awareness is definitely growing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:43 pm 

Even before Sabrina's Law, the TDSB had some good information available to principals regarding food allergies. My son's school has a peanut ban, and many other schools here do as well. A ban doesn't make anything 100% safe, but it can make the school safer. May contain items are allowed at my son's school -- only the actual peanuts and nuts are banned. This seems to be fine with the parents of the children with the allergy. (My son does not have food allergies, I do. My son is allergic to insects.)

As for safe foods, in Ontario we have a lot.

Chapman's Icecream has a very large selection of frozen products produced in a peanut/nut free facility.

Stoney Creek Icecream, which also makes the Dominion store brand icecream has peanut/nut free products.

DARE cookies and candies are produced in a peanut/nut free facility.

Those three companies actually have a red banner on the front of the package.

Other companies that I trust labelling of are: Nestle, Cadbury, Kraft, General Mills, Post (which is owned by Kraft), Kellogg's. These companies don't have a banner on the front of the package, but I read the ingredient lists, and if peanuts are not listed, and there is no *may contain* warning at the bottom of the ingredient list then I feel safe eating it.

I am also dealing with sesame seed allergy, and I trust those companies to label for that in most of their products. (I have some slight concerns about a few Kraft products and sesame seeds.)

There are also some bread companies that put *may contain* warnings regarding peanuts. Others will have to help you with that. My bread supply is pretty limited due to the sesame seeds. I think Wonder has some safe for you -- and I know Dempster's does. If you like fancy breads, I can look up the name of the stuff I buy.

For birthday cakes and cupcakes there are some bakeries in the GTA, as well as one in Ajax and one in Newmarket. Check the peanut allergy forum, and if you can't find them listed let me know and I'll look them up for you.

So, this gives you a bit to start with. If there is any particular product or company you aren't sure about, ask on this forum. Eventually, you will become more comfortable with asking questions of companies.

Remember to ALWAYS read the label as sometimes they change.

Just remembered -- regarding the school. If you have already registered them, then you know the name of the school. Otherwise, go to the TDSB web-site and you can look up what the home school is. Then, check if the school has a web-site. When I was looking up schools for an on-line friend that was moving to Toronto, I found two neighbourhood schools near her address, and one had an excellent web-site that included copies of the newsletters that were sent home monthly. The one in June actually thanked all the parents for not sending peanut products to school all year. So, you may find out that the school is already prepared to deal safely with children with a food allergy.

I should probably stop now. This is turning into a book. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:29 pm 

Thank you everyone

Thanks AnnaMarie that is a great list I love fancy bread so if you have the name that would be great.

Also I was wondering what do you use for makeup & creams?

Thank you again for all your info

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:08 pm 

Dimpflmeier Bakery - 22 Advance Road, Toronto 416-239-3031 This company has quite a variety of safe breads, including rye and other dark breads

None of their breads have peanuts, nuts, or sesame seeds. And, I just found a web-site for them too.

www.dimpflmeierbakery.com

I buy their bread at major grocery stores in Toronto.

As for make-up -- gave up on that a long time ago. When my allergies first developed I found that if I had a reaction while I was wearing make-up it felt like my skin was suffrocating. A few years later I discovered that some make-ups had peanut or sesame oil in them. Now, I've just gotten used to not wearing any, so I don't bother keeping track of what's safe. L'Orealle is pretty good about keeping track of ingredients though. I know they have some safe hair colours -- but not all of their brands are safe. They will give the information over the phone -- and if you call them about make-up they can probably tell you which brands/colours are peanut free.

Previously we always used Ombrelle Sunscreen (made by L'Orealle). But, this year my youngest son is bothered by anything with any type of oil on his face. We've switched to Coppertone Oil-free sunscreen and it's working fine for both of us. The Ombrelle is peanut-free, but it has other oils in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:50 pm 

Thank you so much for all your info. I can't tell you how helpful you have been!!!

Thank you!!!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 9:25 am 

You are very welcome. :)

That's what these sites are for. I wish something like this had been available when I first developed my allergies. But, even after all these years -- I find out about new safe foods from the internet. When I feel a company is not safe for me, I don't usually ever call them back. Then, one day, I'll read a post about that company advising that they now have safe products. I'll check it out, and be absolutely thrilled to add something else to my safe list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:25 pm 

AnnaMarie - re sesame seeds and Kraft crackers - care to shware any concerns?? Now I am worried -always trusted Kraft.

Sunscreen - I use the Neutrogena sensitive. It costs about $13 a bottle, but it is the only one my non-allergic son does not react to. (Go figure) Plus, it works 'instantly' as it is a physical sunblock. Less chemicals than others.

Mom2Girls - it is remarkably overwhelming at first. I lived on this site when I first found it. Everyone is so amazingly helpful and upbeat and knowledgeable. Stay strong - you can do it!

Stef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:38 pm 

Kraft makes Christie crackers, right? Yup! I trust labelling on crackers.

Here's what happened to cause me a bit of concern. I really miss pretzels. I have given up trying to find any safe ones because when I find some with just salt on them, they run on the same lines as sesame seeds. I picked up a package of Bits and Bites Snack (also made by Christie). I read the label -- repeatedly. I asked two other people to also read the label. There was no sesame warning. I ate some. I had a reaction. A few days later, I tried it again (hoping it was not the Bits and Bites that caused the reaction). Unfortunately, it happened again.

I don't think Christie actually makes pretzels. I think they purchase the prestzels and there is no cross contamination in their plant so no warning. I was a bit ticked off about it -- mostly ticked at myself because I know there are no safe pretzels.

So, while I mostly trust Kraft/Christie labelling -- I don't trust them for pretzels anymore. But, I do still eat their crackers and cookies.

btw, I know I should have called the CFIA. But, I was so disappointed I threw (and I mean literally threw) it into the garbage bag and out the door to the garbage room right away.