You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:18 pm 

Our daughter had a reaction not that long ago which was clear anaphylaxis and required the whole epipen-911-hospital observation routine.
It *appears* at this point as though the reaction was to soy protein isolate (SPI). However, she has soy on a daily basis (soy milk, tofu). Her allergist had recommended that we "watch" for now but not alter her diet, so the foods that are tolerated now are to be continued. As you can imagine, I am terrified about anything with soy protein isolate and suspect that it need not be labelled as such.

Has anyone out there heard of such a thing? I know that SPI is the most highly modified soy form and also most likely to be genetically modified. It is also quite prevalent (to vegetarians anyway).

Any insights are welcome...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:27 am 

I might be completely off the mark here, I'm just putting it out there. I could be completely wrong. It's just a thought.

My allergist told me that with a peanut molecule there are 16 different places on the molecule that the mast cells (I think it's the mast cells) bind to to cause a reaction. So if you have a group of people with peanut anaphylaxis, they are not all reacting to the same part of the peanut molecule. Maybe it is the same with soy and the fact that the soy protein isolate altered means that the isolate has a "receptor" that causes your daughter to react, and the soy molecules in the foods you've been feeding her don't have that particular receptor, so she doesn't react to them. Which doesn't really make sense as you would think that the isolate would be soy broken down to pure protein and maybe have less things to react to, but as I say, it's just an idea. Maybe we could ask Dr. Wasserman, Gwen?

You sure are having a difficult time, I hope we can help you, and point you in the right directions. I hope you can find a safe way to continue your vegetarian lifestyle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:41 pm 

I am a vegetarian who is allergic to soy + nuts and was in denial about my soy allergy as I never noticed problems with soy burgers and tofu but only soy milk and edename.

Needless to say, I am quite concerned about getting enough protein in my diet. I am going to be switching to a vegan diet soon and will rely on protein derived from hemp, rice and flax..

I am turning into a big hippie!!