You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:02 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:54 am 

We haven't travelled much since Jack was diagnosed with his allergies, not because of the allergies but because DH doesn't enjoy travelling with 3 little boys. We are going 4 hours from home to visit my in-laws. I am such a planner that I'm starting to stress about what I need to take in the way of food. Jack is at an age where he wants to eat what everybody else is eating so it may be a challenge.

I'm also stressing because my in-laws are smokers and have a dog...don't know how Jack will react to those.

I guess this is just my crazy ranting but I figured somebody here would understand my concern better than the general public.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:04 pm 

When we go for overnight stays at my parents I bring the staples that my mom may not have on hand for my boys...for us that's stuff like safe bread, soy milk and sun butter. I also used to bring a fresh supply of things that can easily be cross contaminated like jam and butter (but now my mom buys fresh ones before we come). I also discuss menus with her before we go, and help in the kitchen to take the burden off, and to keep an eye out for cross contam.

They used to have a dog, and my boys are allergic, so they would kennel the dog during our stays and my mom would clean like crazy before we arrived, and then we'd have to dose with reactine daily. We also made sure that the boys slept in a room that the dog wasn't allowed to be in, and used an air cleaner while we were there.

We're lucky because my parents are really cooperative, but all of these measures were negotiated slowly over many visits with varying degrees of success vs. stress.

If possible I would discuss a lot of these things with your in-laws beforehand...like planning the food, everybody smoking outside and your concerns about your DS possibly being allergic to the dog. It'll either calm your fears, or let you know that it's not going to work for you.

And I guess I've been writing this from the perspective of an overnight visit...but you didn't actually say... Sometimes a hotel with a kitchenette or fridge, can be your best friend.

And have a backup plan if he gets sick in that environment (hotel/ going home early), it's sometimes hard to predict with multiple environmental allergies (especially with the smoking thing).
Good luck :) .

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:16 am 

Thanks Twinmom.

We'll be there for a few days and I am prepared to leave early if it's not working. They're not known as being well prepared for anything so something this big will likely be beyond them.

I will take some staples and help with food preparation.

Probably just my over cautious nature getting to me and everything will be fine.

DS#1 - no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:42 pm 
Site Admin

I hope you have a great time!

Don't forget that you have been living this for years but they only live it when they are forced to deal with it so...in essence they may only have a few months under their belts. Dont focus on what they don't know, try to simply offer tips.

If you need to lay down rules, it is usually acepted better when coming from the off-spring rather than the in-law.

Don't forget there are stores in this other town, but bring the basics bread, favourite beverage margarine etc. I usually bring my own can opener and cutting board but then I have been known to go overboard on things. Food wise perhaps you can stick to meat and vegetable meals.

Will the smokers smoker outside?

Other than that, form one planner to another, you will feel better if you have planned everything. It's really the only way we can relax isn't it? :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:50 pm 

One thing that gives me peace of mind to take along is our own frying pan and spatula. I know our pan hasn't EVER had eggs in it, so there's no doubt about it being clean enough to cook in for ds. Depending on the menu, there might be other prep/cooking dishes you'll want to throw in, too.

And maybe you've already got this covered, but I always try to learn in advance about the location of the nearest hospital and if 911 service is available (something taken for granted most places).

Lastly, as someone who grew up with a cigarette smoke allergy (now outgrown!), I would strongly request that they smoke outside.

I hope it's a fun trip! I'm sure it will be exciting, to say the least, with 3 boys! : )

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:59 am 

_Susan_ wrote:
I hope you have a great time!

Don't forget that you have been living this for years but they only live it when they are forced to deal with it so...in essence they may only have a few months under their belts. Dont focus on what they don't know, try to simply offer tips.

If you need to lay down rules, it is usually acepted better when coming from the off-spring rather than the in-law.

Don't forget there are stores in this other town, but bring the basics bread, favourite beverage margarine etc. I usually bring my own can opener and cutting board but then I have been known to go overboard on things. Food wise perhaps you can stick to meat and vegetable meals.

Will the smokers smoker outside?

Other than that, form one planner to another, you will feel better if you have planned everything. It's really the only way we can relax isn't it? :roll:

Thanks everyone but a special thanks to you Susan. You understand my planning nature. And you're right I'll plan far more than needed and everything will work out.

I am praying the smokers will smoke outside but the house will be full of it from the rest of the time. Unfortunately they live 1/2 hour outside of town so trips to the store will be unlikely so I'll take what Jack needs.

I doubt with these folks that tips will come well from either of us so we'll just do what we can to make it as easy on Jack as possible.

Thanks again for helping me stay grounded.

DS#1 - no allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:39 pm 

I think all your concerns are really valid. It is very challenging to visit other people when you have health issues such as anaphylaxis and asthma, even when they are really cooperative. It took my mom (hyper-cooperative) and I many visits (which included a lot of pre-visit phone calls, emails, menus, grocery lists, etc.) before it all seemed "easy". It was a few years before I noticed that it wasn't the big production that it once had been. Of course, the kids growing up a bit helped too.

I think doing lots of planning is a great idea - and even though you can't plan for all the little surprises, as Susan said - if it gives you some peace of mind, I'm all for it.

I think the most important thing is being willing to leave if you see that your child's health is at risk. It's not so much to make a statement as to show that you have your priorities straight. That is the way I see it, at least.

Best of luck with it all.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

FYI- We're going to Banff for 3 nights and I have been planning it for over a year! :oops:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb