You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: RFI- Lundberg Rice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:37 pm 

As much as I adore Lundberg's rice and rice syrup, I must fault them on their labeling policy as for some time they were advertised on the Mrs Roben's site as being soy free. I would eat them VORACIOUSLY and noticed some reaction-type symptoms.

When I contacted them to ask if the products contained or may have come in contact with soy they mentioned that the line used to produce the rice chips is also used to produce soy-based products but they give a thorough wash to the equipment.

Labeling is the key and being honest with your customers about potential cross contamination is the best policy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 11:20 pm 

I'm a huge fan of Lundberg rice, too. It definitely tastes way better than run-of-the-mill rice. And I like their different gourmet varieties. (My diet is so limited, I claim the right to be picky about my rice!)

I also have problems with Lundberg's rice syrup . . and like you I'm soy allergic. The syrup makes my throat sting and itch slightly. It may be a problem with shared lines as you mention. In that case, they should definitely label for it. It might be worthwhile to call the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and have them inspect a sample (actually, I think I might still have some in the cupboard.)

I looked at their website at one point, and I noticed that they indicated that their rice syrup at one point was not truly gluten free because the enzymes used in the fermentation process were cultivated on a wheat medium. So I wonder what medium has replaced it?? I assumed it was corn (I'm allergic to corn) and it wasn't worth investigating further because no one takes corn allergies seriously. But if it is in fact soy, it would be important for them to indicate that.