You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:37 am 

Hi. I am so glad to have found this board. I have been feeling alone and overwhelmed dealing with my daughter's milk protein allergy. I must have been in denial for many years because I thought that she would outgrow it.

Our pediatricians never made a big deal about her diet and never pressed me to go to the allergist. I took her and did the skin prick test at age 4 and they were not so concerned about it. No one ever recommended the epi-pen. She seemed to be able to take milk in baked goods and we always eat at Mcdonalds! I have just learned from reading these boards that the french fries have milk in them.

I feel such horrible guilt. A month ago we went to the mall and they were handing out beverage samples. It was Kelloggs protein water. Guess what. Whey protein. She drank a sip and immediately her face got red. Mouth itched. We bumped our 2-yr old out of the stroller so that she could sit a get wheeled about.

What a wake up call. I have to accept the fact that she might have this allergy for the rest of her life. I am trying to learn everything I can about this allergy. In the past, we avoided the obvious milk products like ice cream, yogurt, cheese, etc. But now we are being much more careful and reading everything. I have tried the nondairy cheeses on my daughter and she would tell me that it itches. Yup, casein in it!

Anyhoo, I would appreciate hearing from other moms! Good day to you all.
Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:48 am 

Welcome. I don't post often but do read the forum every day. Everyone seems so helpful, I am sure you will find lots of advice and support.

I am glad you have only had the one scare but how frightening that must have been. My son's allergist told us right off that he likely won't outgrow his allergies which has made it easier for me.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:37 pm 

I had no idea that McD's french fries were unsafe for children with milk allergies. We've given out daughter fries ever since she was a year old (she's now 6) with no reaction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:04 pm 

If you live the US there is dairy in McDonald's fries.

If you live in Canada there is NO dairy in the fries.

Welcome to the forum, Li Heup. While I'm sorry that you and your daughter had this scare, I'm glad that you found us. I hope we'll be able to provide the info, support and help that you need. Definitely look at previous posts, because you will learn a lot!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:23 am 

Amy's Mom wrote:
I had no idea that McD's french fries were unsafe for children with milk allergies. We've given out daughter fries ever since she was a year old (she's now 6) with no reaction.

I believe that McD's reformulated the fries in 2006 to eliminate the trans fat. In the process, the began using a dairy derivative. DD does not get a reaction from these "new" fries, however, if you are trying to do a total elimination of dairy from your diet, then fries are off the list. This would be a major disappointment for DD. Sometimes the reactions may be mild and might not appear to be an allergy (i.e. a tummy ache or slightly softer stools). I have got to discuss whether to do a total elimination for DD with the allergist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:26 am 

Thank you all for the welcome! I will be looking to you for support.

Cheers, Lisa