You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:31 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:10 pm 

Hi - Does anyone know if I should expect any problems crossing the border with epipens? We will be driving through the Windsor-Detroit crossing. Do we have to state that we have epis/allergy meds and inhalers with us? Do they ask? Or can I leave the meds in the bag and not say anything (unless asked)? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:44 pm 

My general rule of thumb for border crossing is definately don't offer if they don't ask. Just make sure whatever prescriptions and medication you take with you are in original containers and cleraly marked. They don't like it if you lump all yours pills into an organizer or generic bottle.

I always ask my pharmacist to put the pharmacare label on the Epi Holder - not the box. That way the label is with the meds and not in the recylcing box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin

Don't think there would be an issue by car.

EpiPens are allowed onboard flights. For flying they can ask - though usually don't - for a note from your doctor saying that you should have the auto-injector(s) on you at all times.
And you're supposed to have a prescription label on the pen.

Doubt they're as strict by car; not the same potential threat of terrorism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:22 am 

I agree with the above statement: if they don't ask, don't tell. I have crossed the border by car numerous times, and never mentioned my epipens. They have never asked either. Even when we fly, I always tell security before my purse goes through x-ray, and they never seem too interested in them. They just shrug and say no problem. I assume they see a lot of them. Hope your trip goes well!

Soccermom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:51 am 

Thank you for the insight. I have never driven to the US before and wasn't sure what to expect on a holiday weekend and I admit I was imagining people looking through our bags. The border services website states pretty much the same thing - that prescriptions must be labled and in the original packaging. This is where the issue arises for me. I have prescription lables on asthma inhalers but two epipens were purchased OTC so no label on either one.

I am trying to get a note from my dr. to keep on hand just in case. Of course, since I need him for something, he is on vacation this week and I may be out of luck. My other thought is that I still have an old, long expired epi with a label (if I even still have the box) but am doubtful that would be of any help. I'm not worried about the other OTC meds.

My fear is to be hours away from home and running into trouble at the border. I should have thought of this sooner but it didn't cross my mind until the other day! I guess I'll just have to take my chances and hope the question doesn't come up. I am encouraged to know they don't seem to ask very often. Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:04 pm 

Never thought to mention the epis . . . I agree that it probably wouldn't be an issue. But there are a lot of rules about bringing food across. I would have guessed that there would be a problem with fruit and veggies (some fruit is okay . . . if it is grown in the US, make sure that the original packaging/sticker indicating country of origin is indicated) But if I hadn't read the regulations (after we were pulled over and our contraband grapes (which we declared) confiscated) I would never have guessed that dry rice is verboten. Again, it is okay if marked as a product of the US of A . . . but not if it is from somewhere else. Anyways, there is a long set of rules that I'm definitely going to look up before going to the US again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:18 pm 

In case anyone else is ever wondering, crossing the border with EpiPens did not present any problem at all. Going to the States, the guard did not ask (I didn’t volunteer) and coming home was also without incident…In fact, on the way back I was more alarmed that we were asked if we were carrying any firearms or pepper spray! I didn't have a note from my dr. but was ready with my bracelet and the meds that did have prescription lables just in case.

I must have missed the part about bringing food across in my research; wish I had seen your post earlier Helen. From what I gathered at the border, they don't allow fresh produce of any sort so I don’t know if the stickers would have helped. In any case, I had removed them when I washed the fruit before packing it. Everything else went smoothly though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:52 am 

That's great that everything went well and that the epis weren't an issue!