You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: DAIRY-FREE LUNCH IDEAS
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:44 am 

Hi, my daughter is starting grade 1 this year and I'm desperately searching for lunch ideas. She can be a picky eater and I'd like to give her some variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:10 pm 

My daughter is also going into grade one. More lunches!! Here are some of the things that I send her: Motts fruit cups, pita and salsa, sandwiches (I cook turkey breasts, chicken, hams and then slice them up and freeze them in small portions for sandwiches), homemade soup in a thermos, hot dogs (she eats it cold but still likes them - I use frozen packs in her lunch bag), left over homemade pizza (ham and pineapple), teddy grahams, homemade muffins (again I freeze large batches for her lunches) and of course fresh fruit.

Other items I would like her to try: Pita Break breads - there is a great cinnamon and raisin variety which is delicious with Tofutti soy cream cheese, Whole wheat pita and hummus

I just discovered that Christie animal crackers in the snack packs are okay for her also. I might add these from time to time also.

I hate making lunches - I look forward to some other new ideas too! This year I have to pack for my little guy now too. He is going to JK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:18 am 
Site Admin

We make wraps using soft tortilla and cooked meat or use mini pita pockets and dips.
I've found a soy yoghurt that she likes and she eats it straight or uses it as a dip for her fruit.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:37 pm 

my friends were always pretty fond of cucumber sandwiches, with mustard. basically you just have to pack the bread and cucumber speratly, you could also do tomato sandwhiches one of my faves) with mayo (or just salt and pepper) and again just put it together at school, tuna, chicken and egg salads are nice change in the winter months

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:03 pm 

Susan, which soy yogurt does your daughter like? We have tried several with no success.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:06 pm 
Site Admin

I give her Yoso Yogourt. It comes in a 6 pack of single serving sizes but seems cheaper by the ml than the other soy yogourt I've found.
I buy it in the alternative lifestyle section at Loblaws. The package contains 2x blueberry, 2x strawberry and 2x vanilla. She seems to like them all.
Word of warning...the yogourt is slightly grey tinged.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:18 am 

Just wondering if there were any other ideas for diary free (egg & peanut/treenut) lunches. I met a Mom last night who does not have an FA child, but there is an FA child in her Daughter's class and they were not provided a list of safe ideas so she's having a hard time coming up with things. I told her I'd see if I coud get her some ideas.

Thanks!

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:01 pm 

Just wondering how you are doing with lunches, I was just reading your message and it was posted quite a while ago but my 8 yr old daughter also has these allergies and she likes for her lunches - wraps with strawberry jam, I pack her plain pasta in a thermos and ketchup packages (she likes pasta with ketchup) and that's her fav lunch, on "hot dog day" at school I pack her a hot dog in a thermos (I found that putting a tiny amount of hot water with the weiner it keeps it hot enough) with the bun for her to make her own hot dog, bagels with jam, and sliced meat on a bun, once in a while I also give her nacho chips with tomato soup to dip them in.

This is all I can think of at the moment.

Her snacks include fresh fruits, she doesn't like the soy yogurt but likes soy pudding, soda crackers, pretzels, dry cereal, for a treat fruit roll ups, homemade muffins/cookies, leftover apple crisp, teddy grahams etc.

Hope this helps

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:13 pm 
Site Admin

Tuesday is spaghetti night here so Wednesday is spaghetti for lunch. I bought some thermos (type) of bowls from WalMart. The lid scres off with medium effort and she can eat right our of it. I like to shred some soy mozzarella over the top. (Earth Islands Gourmet Soy cheese alternative)

I also will make slices for the 'fake' cheese and cut it with cookie cutters to make shapes. She likes these with rice crackers.

Enjoy Life makes great snack bars for whne you are too rushed to bake.

Tuna fish sandwiches, ham sandwiches etc cut with cookie cutters.

Veggies with mayonaise (Earth Island brand makes a very tasty one).

I usually send fruit, sandwich and a cookie/snack bar. At Valentines Day I put foam stickers on her containers and inside the lunch box. (scrap booking type from WalMart) She loved the surprise. Even just a note (drawing for little ones) is a treat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:19 pm 

Hi everyone,
Pizza - made with the earth island soy cheese - I warm it up in the morning and double wrap it in foil.

Chicken fingers - These take minutes to bake - I add salt, pepper and garlic powder and then coat them with the CornFlakes crumbs. Bake in oven (with some oil). Double wrap in foil, add a tupperware of ketchup to dip.

Meatballs - in a thermos.

Soup - in a thermos - soda crackers to put inside

Hamburger - bake in oven while getting ready. Put on a bun - double wrap in foil. Ketchup on side.

Veal cutlets - fast fry in olive oil (literarally 2 minutes) - cut into pieces, put in thermos.

Bagel and soy cream cheese or cheese slices (tofutti)

For snacks my son loves waffles (add president's choice decadent chips for something special). I make a bunch and freeze them. Toast them for a few minutes, cut them into strips, Put maple syrup into a tupperware for him to dip.

I've read about other kids who are allergic to dairy eating cold cuts. What brands do you use? I've read ingredients and they all contain milk ingredients? Also, do you have the deli slice them - aren't you afraid of cross-contamination? I'd love to know what you do!!!

Thanks,
boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:41 pm 

For cold cuts I use Carl Buddig chicken slices (lots of chemicals which I hate letting her have but we're already so limited that I allow it) in the deli section of Zehrs, I don't buy the cold cuts that the store slices in their deli because of the cross contamination with cheese.

I forgot to add that she loves no nuttin bars for snacks in her lunch box also.

I'll have to look again for soy cheese because at my regular grocery store the only soy cheese has casein in it.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

You can find Earth Island soy cheese in the alternative foods section of larger Loblaws stores.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:32 pm 

boys' mom wrote:

I've read about other kids who are allergic to dairy eating cold cuts. What brands do you use? I've read ingredients and they all contain milk ingredients? Also, do you have the deli slice them - aren't you afraid of cross-contamination? I'd love to know what you do!!!

I cannot remember the company name right now but we've had luck with the ones called EZ Pizza and EZ Sub. There are 3 types of cold cuts in each package. I've bought it at Loblaws and Walmart.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies