You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:56 pm 

He did the SPT just before the challenge. I can't remember the numbers for wheal size (I don't think back then I would have known what they meant anyway), I must remember trusting his discretion tha ta challenge was appropriate. He was very surprized when Stephen started to react and till the last time we saw him he couldn't believe he hadn't outgrown it. We have been strictly avoiding for 13 years and still no go.

As far as the process our challenge took, our challenge was probably 10 years ago and I'm sure the process they use now is different then they did then. We didn't do the touch the toast or lick the toast first. I just remember that the piece he gave him was so tiny I thought, this is going to take all day! And it pretty much did!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:15 pm 

mharasym wrote:
He did the SPT just before the challenge.!

Just to clarify, before a challenge, my allergist does a SPT involving the actual food the patient brings in to the office in addition to the regular SPT involving the standard extraction (manufactured in a lab).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:06 am 

We have a food challenge for peanut scheduled for one of my sons on Friday (I need an emoticon for very nervous, but kind of excited!?!).

We were referred to a new allergist after our move, and we feel really confident with him. He did not want to proceed with a food challenge for egg like the other doctor, feeling that given Elliot's case history, a "moderate positive" RAST and a huge wheal from the SPT that it wasn't prudent at this time. And we agreed wholeheartedly, all of my mommy instincts were telling me that it wasn't a good idea before.

But his peanut RAST was undetectable...that's right UNDETECTABLE! The SPT was positive, but he only had a small wheal. So we are scheduled to go in and give it a go on Friday.

Fingers crossed.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

How exciting!
We've not had an oral challange yet but from what I imagine, you must be optimistically terrified!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:45 pm 

Definitely let us know how it goes. I will be thinking about you. My oldest was deemed to be a candidate last year, but did not want to do it. Now he says he is ready, so we are off to see the allergist in the fall to see if he is still a candidate, and if yes, I will be in your shoes in the near future...

Best of luck, and I'm so glad you have found an allergist that you feel good about!

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:47 am 

Our food challenge was successful!!!

What a stressful day though. When they gave him the first dose of peanut, I thought that I might pass out!?! But my son was fine. The Dr. halted the challenge at one point because my son complained that his neck and chest felt "hot", but after about an hour he wasn't exhibiting any additional symptoms and the Dr. thought it was probably due to stress, and we continued. By the end of a very long 6 hours, my son had consumed a large amount of peanut butter, and was feeling great, excitedly talking about all of the "may contain" treats that he's going to eat now. :D

We had to give him a reality check about what passing the peanut challenge will actually mean for him...he still has to carry his epi-belt and follow all of the same rules because of eggs, and we still won't have anything with peanuts in it at home, because of his brother. But at school he will have one less thing to worry about, and he'll get to go on a "peanut date" once a week to make sure he keeps ingesting it regularly. I'm still not quite sure how we're going to work out making sure DS1 gets peanuts once or twice a week, without exposing DS2 to them or causing undue hurt feelings and jealousy, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

While it's a happy, and exciting time for one son, my other son is feeling lousy. He may be adding tomatoes and cold urticaria (sp) to his list of problems, and I can tell he's feeling kind of lonely and left behind by his brother (we had a few tears yesterday). We're going to really try to find something special for him for the times when his brother is having peanuts, and we're being careful not to celebrate passing the food challenge as an accomplishment. Reminding them both that having allergies or outgrowing them isn't something you can choose or control in any way.

Thanks for the encouragement Susan and Karen. I needed it. Food challenges sure are a roller coaster-like experience!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 am 

And also,

KarenOASG wrote:

I'm so glad you have found an allergist that you feel good about!

Me too!!! Not only is this allergist great, but everyone in the office from the receptionist to the nurse who does the SPT's are really competent and personable. What a huge difference it makes having a doctor that you feel you can trust when it comes to your children's allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:53 am 

That's great news! and I must say your child adapted very quickly to the idea of eating peanuts! I can see though how this would make things difficult for your other child . . especially since they are twins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

Wow - that's great news.

Who knows, knock on wood, maybe brother will outgrow his, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 10:01 pm 

So happy for you :D !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:21 pm 

Passing a challenge can be a bit of a blessing and a curse, can't it?? I do feel for your other son... That kind of stinks that he is adding allergies to his list while his bro is getting rid of one.

Best of luck with managing all of it. My oldest is now making noises about NOT being ready for a peanut challenge... I told him that we will just talk to the allergist in the fall and see what she thinks, and take it from there.

Time will tell.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:40 pm 

Wonderful news!! It must be so exciting for your son. I can understand how it must also be hard for his twin, though, so we also send hugs to him.
Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:18 am 

Thanks everyone.

We bought some individually wrapped Reese's PB cups for the one guy to eat on the back step once a week, and a bag of Nestle's peanut free treats for the other guy to enjoy while his brother gets his peanut fix. And for now everyone seems happy (phewff!).

I agree Helen, he did adapt really quickly. It's almost a little scary to see him going from "I need to avoid this at all costs because it might kill me!" to "Mmmmmm, this is yummy!" all in one morning.

And after seeing what a food challenge is like, I wholeheartedly agree with Karen's approach of letting a child choose for themselves when they are ready. It requires the child to be enormously brave, and to take a huge leap of faith. I would hate to see any child pushed into it (especially if they did end up having a reaction!), and I'm really glad we took our time, found a better doctor, and let our son make the final decision about whether or not to go ahead with it.

Hopefully this is just the first of many food challenges, as BOTH our sons outgrow more allergies...fingers crossed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

How wonderful that it was a success! I hope his brother will not see this as him losing an allergy ally but simply that his brother was the first whose body stopped responding to peanuts as an allergen.
Can you point out to him that one of them lost a tooth first?
I sincerly hope that he also loses this allergy.
In the mean time...woohoo!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb