You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Same ** Marriage
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:15 am 

I'm not really a political person. I don't usually follow *issues* until they are front page news.

Since same ** marriages have been allowed in my province for a while now, many people think there is no difference with it being allowed by the federal government. I'm not sure that's correct.

Previously (I believe) gays did have common-law status, but I can see how an actual marriage licence would be better, both emotionally and legally.

I did have a few concerns about this. Most of them I have accepted as inconsequential. Only one remains. Churches.

I understand that the legislation will allow churches to decide whether or not to perform gay marriages. No church leader will be forced to do them. There are some churches that will - United I think was the first big church to say they will.

But, within the last year there was a problem in Ontario. Someone had booked a hall for a wedding reception with the Knights of Columbus. This is a Catholic organization, and the Catholic church does not recognize gay marriage. When the KofC discovered that it was a reception for a gay wedding, they cancelled. I don't know all the details - whether the couple had intentionally hid the fact that it was a gay wedding, or whether they even realized KofC was a Catholic organization. But, I agree they had the right to refuse to allow a gay reception - although it should have been refused right away.

There is a couple in Toronto that wants churches that refuse to marry gay couples to lose their tax-deduction status. They say the churches have the right to remain prejudice - but not on the public dollar.

Does anyone know if these things will be protected under the new legislation? Can you direct me (with links) to where I can read it?

Are there going to be changes to the Charter of Rights? What are those changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:46 pm 

The fact that churches have tax-free status is kookoo bananas if you ask me. It will be interesting to see what happens once that is challenged!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:59 am 

One of the specific deductions this couple wants eliminated is when individual people donate money they can deduct it from their income. Do you think the whole idea of that is wrong? or just for churches?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:28 am 

I would make a distinction between the right of churches to refuse to marry couples who do not fit into their church community and the discrimination against gays and huh specifically. If a church requires a profession of faith, etc. from couples before they will marry them and also won't marry gay couples I think that's their right---gay couples are in good company there and there are other churches they can get married in. But renting a hall is another issue---do the Knights of Columbus only rent to Catholics? If they don't look too closely into peoples' religious background, then not renting to gay couples is clearly discriminatory.