Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Vegetable Oil?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

OK, up until now I have really only been concerned with the egg and dairy ingredietns but now that I have to start checking for peanut and tree nuts, I have started to notice a lot of companies just state "vegetable oil" on thier labels. This is pretty annoying when shopping on a Saturday and the 1-800 number is only in operation Monday - Friday 0830-1630. :roll:
Just wanted to vent. I will write to the companies (and CFIA) when I'm on vacation the week after next.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:19 pm 

I'm with you on this, Susan! It's a pain for soy, too. Thankfully, I have seen more labels recently that are breaking down the ingredients of their vegetable oil. But until it's everyone doing this, it's still a nuisance!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:32 am 

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... 1e.shtml#1

From what I understand, if peanut oil is including in *vegetable oil* it must be listed. I have added the link to one of the cfia pages that discusses it. Being a government page, it's a bit *gobbledygook* but, to me, it sounds like peanut must be listed.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:38 am 

I'm with you on labeling. I have allergic reactions to Flavored Oils. They are being used abanduntly today without being listed an an ingredient. I don't know what to do except sign petitions over at Care2.com. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:11 am 
Site Admin

So far I have been calling just to make sure and inquire re the companies policy re may contains and producton lines etc.
I advise the person that it would take the guess work out and reduce anxiety around purchasing their product if they clearly identified the vegetable oils in the product.
I guess that I should follow up with a letter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:04 pm 

I believe AnneMarie is correct - if the ingredients contains one of the top 8, it must be identified on the label. I do agree that the source of the vegetable would be good to know, and I think manufacturers are moving in that direction. Regardless of the labeling, I don't think you're going to get the cross-contamination information you're looking for. Many years ago before the labeling guideline in Canada came into effect I used to call manufacturers on ingredient questions. Now, rightly or wrongly, I trust their labelling. It's worked for us so far and expect (and hope) that it will continue to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:16 pm 

So basically, sunflower, they are not required to put? Nor sesame oil? That's idiotic. A lot of people are allergic to those two.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:27 pm 

Oils are very tricky for people with corn allergy. Corn oil is frequently used in products that list "vegetable oil" as an ingredient. Also, corn derived citric acid is used as a degumming agent in the refining process of "refined" oils. I can only use extra virgin olive oil or cold pressed grape seed oil.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:51 am 

I have the same problem being allergic to rice and carrots, modified food starch and unmodified food starch. I have to call and see where the starch came from. Butterball puts it in their turkeys. Also if its undeclared Veg oil I usually have to stay away because most companies don't use the same type of Veg oil all the time.

Allergic to tons and tons of food as well as perfumes, scented air sprays and cleaners. Hubby to Fish, ds #2 Shellfish, youngest to Eggplant, potato, Caesin, Raw Tomato & spinach.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:16 pm 

Hi, a friend with a peanut allergy asked if I had noticed that some companies are starting to use more peanut oils instead of other oils due to costs (i.e. price of corn, grains going up). This could cause a lot of problems for peanut and nut allergic people.

Anyone else noticed this? Another reminder to read everything, even products you trust!!

Sonia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

Oh great! :roll: