You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:42 am 

Here we are Sept 6 and no word yet from the BC Government on what this "provincial framework" they assured us would be in place for the start of this school year. I am not surprised but was frustrated. I emailed and had to call twice to my MLA to get a response. His office came back with a weak response so I said it was unacceptable and wanted something in writing as to when we can expect action.

Just tonight I received a call from Heather Hoult who is essentially our Minister of Education's appointed representative on this issue in the schools. she was also the person managing the meetings this summer with the Anaphlyaxis Task Force. She said that she felt confident in saying that an announcement will be made "ASAP" by the Minister's office. She has the recommendations from the committee in front of her and is reviewing them before deciding which recommendation to move forward with. She also said that "while there is red tape with beaurocracy this was moving very fast for government". I asked her to define "ASAP in her world, does that mean by the end of the month or the end of the year or just before next election". she felt confident that by the end of the month an announcement will be made.... hhhhmmm let's see.

I encourage all BC residents to contact their MLA again by email or phone and ask for an update - this alone may keep the pressure up to fulfull the "ASAP"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:11 pm 
Site Admin

TZ,

Thanks for the update. Let's get the momentum going again B.C. folks.
If they're weighing their options, don't forget to mention that your children
deserve a "law" not just a policy, because a law is mandatory.

A law such as Ontario's Sabrina's Law means - no confusion at the individual school level, a principal will simply know that this is a priority and that he/she has to set the rules.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:18 am 

I think it was the first day of school when Minister Bond was interviewed about health initiatives - at least 30 minutes a day of exercise because obesity in children is rising and late onset of disease can be an issue. She said something along the lines that our children need to be protected now because they are at risk of dying (later?) I can't remember her exact quote.... What about the children with food allergies and today?

Unfortunately, TZ is right, the MLAs need to be contacted, again.

Self, trees, weeds & grass girl, cats, dogs, chemical sensitive, eczma & now peanuts, fish, shellfish & penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:14 am 

Hey D, i allso heard the interview on CBC and i wrote down something she said about her priority and what she believes shoudl be everyone's priority in education is not all of this about fees etc but "how as a group do we serve children with special needs in the classrooms". hhhmmmm anaphylaxis is definetly in that group.

She was a gues on BC Almanac and it remains on their website for about 4 or 5 days so you should still be able to listen.