You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:08 pm 

Hello everyone!

I'm 36 years old, in Denver, CO and was diagnosed with the following food allergies about two weeks ago:

I have a severe allergy to:
1. hazelnuts and have been instructed to avoid all tree nuts
2. peaches and have been instructed to avoid all stone fruits

I have oral allergy syndrome to:
1. apples
2. oranges

I've been told that my allergies are evolving. Earlier this week, I found myself in the emergency room in the middle of the night with an allergic reaction to an unknown food allergy. I am now waiting for test results on 21 different food items, and am petrified to eat food! So far, I'm living on lettuce, chicken, and water.

I know, eventually, that this should get easier, but I'm freaking out!

I bought Food Allergies for Dummies (which is a GREAT book to read), and I am visiting numerous websites to educate myself.

How did you cope? Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated...

Thank you!

Alipalu

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome and sorry you have had to join the ranks.
I would suggest that you take some time to read the threads already here, especialy under tree nuts and labeling. You may want use the search icon at the top to look up oral allergy syndrome as there is a fair amount already posted there as well.
You will find that your feelings and questions are quite normal and you may even get the answers you are looking for.
I would also suggest that you go through your kitchen and read all labels carefully. Concider it an exercise to prepare you for your next shopping excursion. You will be surprised at what you can eat and possibly what you can eat .
Be kind to yourself. This is a dificult time and you may be suffering from more stress than you believe.
Know that armed with some good information and some careful planning, it does get easier.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:12 pm 

Hi. I also developed my allergies as an adult. I was pretty freaked out for a long time. It was kind of like being slapped in the face and kicked in the pants all at the same time.

I turned out I only have two allergies -- peanuts and sesame seeds -- but at first I was reacting to anything and everything. I had really bad reactions to cats and dogs, and yet I'm not actually allergic to them. I think my entire system was just so overwhelmed at first. Once I figured out the cause I was then able to completely eliminate the allergens (including trace amounts) and eventually my system seemed to settle down.

As for how I coped.....initially I lost a lot of weight. This was not a good thing as I was under weight to begin with. I ate only things I thought were safe, which at first included making some mistakes. Now, it's just life. Occasionally there are bumps in the road, but you are right that it will get easier.

I saw that book Food Allergies for Dummies, and I was wondering if it was good. I've always thought the other *for Dummies* books were good.