You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:46 am 

Hi there,

My year old son was just diagnosed with a peanut allergy 2 weeks ago and we are still processing what that means for our lifestyle. I was told that he was receiving peanut protein through my breastmilk, and that I should either stop breastfeeding or cut peanuts out of my own intake.

I've cut out the peanuts out of my diet for now, because my baby and I still love breastfeeding very much. I'd like to hear from others who are in the same boat...

Are you cutting even "may contain traces of" and everything? How has this affected you? I was amazed to see how my baby's eczema cleared up after 2 weeks of my cutting out peanuts.

Renée

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:40 am 
Site Admin

I am all for breastfeeding as long as you are both comfortable with it. I breastfed until our daughter self-weaned at 18 months of age.
Personally, we have removed all allergens from our home. It took some time for us to do this (I stubbornly refused to give up milk in my coffee at first but eventually came around :oops: )
It is easy for us as we have only one child, it is harder for those with many children with multiple on different allergies.
Once your home is allergen free, you can relax a little. The risk of cross-contamination is greatly reduced and you will find that it is very difficult to contemplpate bringing an allergen back in. (We searched for allergen free cat food. Not because we thought our daughter would eat the cat food but because we didn't want the catfood spread through out the house.)
:)

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:42 am 

I also breastfed my sons until they self weaned, and had to modify my diet because of their allergies (avoiding eggs, peanuts, and most legumes for a long time).

I would definitely also avoid things that are labeled as "may contain traces of peanuts". Just to be safe.

I didn't find that avoiding their allergens temporarily had that much of an effect on me (although changing our lifestyle in other ways sure did!). Other than of course, the wicked cravings I had for scrambled eggs, and toast with PB! And I was so happy to see how much better they were both doing (they also had eczema that cleared up when I made changes to my diet).

And welcome to the forum, Rambec! :) It's a great place for info and support.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:04 pm 

I also breastfed my son until he was 2 and once we found out he was allergic when he was approx. 1 1/2, I too cut out all peanuts / nuts from my diet including traces. I also saw an improvement in his eczema and in retrospect, realized how my eating PB up until that point affected him. He was a very puky baby (but also a very plump boy so gaining weight wasn't an issue) -- very unsettled in his early months to the point where I thought he was colicky. No scientific evidence here, but I really believe that he was reacting to the peanut protein in my breast milk. I think it's best to err on the side of caution when dealing with food allergies. It takes adjusting but there are some really good alternatives to PB if they aren't allergens for you or your son -- soy nut butter, sun butter (sunflower seed butter), pea butter (check out our shopping thread).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:55 pm 

Thank you ladies! You reassure me!

Yes, I have definately seen an improvement in his eczema since I cut out peanut butter! Wow!

But it's tough cuz I miss it so much... I also think my body is having trouble adjusting to my cutting pb. I have always eaten lots of it. My parents used to be concerned because I didn't eat a lot of red meat as a child but the doctor said with the amount of pb I eat, my protein intake would be fine. Now I need to find an alternative cuz I find myself craving it since I cut.

_Susan_ -- I know what you mean about not wanting to let go of the allergen. I haven't rid of the peanuts or peanut butter yet, but l'm sure when I do, it will be for the best. I must grieve for the loss of peanut butter!

Twinmom -- Thanks for the welcome! Not that I would choose to be a part of the allergy group, but since I am I'm glad to have gotten to this site, everyone seems so helpful. ;-)

Ethansmom -- Yeah, my baby was also very "spit-uppee" and nurses and doctors had different opinions about whether it was colic. Would he have had his allergy from the very start, or does it develop? I know I have eaten lots of pb during my pregnancy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:34 pm 

I also ate PB regularly during pregnancy and up until we found out my son was allergic to it. Your son's allergy would have developed after at least one exposure to the protein -- when that happened exactly is a guess. They do know that peanut protein can be found in mother's breast milk. The cause of allergy is also still unclear. I think that there must be a genetic disposition for it (allergy in general), along with a host of other factors. When exactly it develops and the causes are the million dollar questions!! Don't blame yourself for eating PB while you were pregnant or nursing -- there is still no evidence to support that these are factors. (Please someone correct me if this has changed since AL's article on the subject). But remember, guilt = bad. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:14 pm 

PB was a huge part of my diet prior to my daughter's diagnosis. I ate it regularly during my pregnancy because it was the only thing that often didn't make me feel sick in the early months. My daughter was very colicky until I removed milk from my diet when she was 6 weeks old. My doctor thought I was crazy but it made a huge difference.

Anyways, I eat Peabutter to help with my PB cravings. With jam or honey it is enough to give me my "PB fix."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:45 pm 

I have a friend who 1) has asthma, anaphylactic to peas and deet 2) husband has asthma 3) brother anaphylactic to peanuts and eggs (and has outgrown some stuff).

She was telling me the other day that when she was pregnant (both times) she would get up at 4 am every night for a PB sandwhich, and I think while she was nursing too. Guess what? Her kids aren't allergic to anything.

Yes...guilt=bad.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:51 pm 

HOW DO TOU KNOW ALL OF THIS IS TURE?????????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Peacefrog-I guess that is the big question.
There aren't any definative studies that I am aware of which prove what causes allergies. There are many hypothesises (?) about eating or not eating certain foods, cleanliness, additives in our diet to name a few.
We just try to do the best we can and hope that research will help us to find the answers to avoid becoming allergic (or to avoid becoming allergic to more foods), to desensitize to those we are already allergic and a way to stop the body from recognising harmless (to others) foods as invaders and causing anaphylaxis.
Meanwhile, we just need to live as normally as possible while putting safety measures in place.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:42 pm 

The best reasurrance came to me from Ds's allergist at the time of his Diagnosis. I lived on PB sandwiches and ate salmon at least once a week during my pregnancy. I also had PB every morning on toast when breastfeeding him. I felt really guilty that I caused the allergy. He told he bluntly: "you had the cravings, your body wanted/needed it don't blame yourself!"

I don't regreat breastfeeding him at all, I had pursued the "allergy" question because of his eczema and was told it was milk, or the laundry soap I used.

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:14 pm 

Ate PB while pregnant and nursing DS1 - allergies, BUT happy, healthy baby ,slept ate well.

Minimal PB with DS2 (new studies) colicky, cranky, baby, never slept, NO allergies.

So who the heck knows???

I'd avoid the may contain and now, when I go for brekkie without the boys, I pig out on PB on toast. Satisfies me til the next time!

Good luck!

Stefanie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:16 pm 

When I became pregnant wth my husband's children I cut out all nut containg products and 'may contain traces of nuts' products as well. Because my husband is ana. to peanuts and tree nuts I wasn't going to take any chances. Well, my youngest is alllergic anyway, but he's the only one of my children who is, thank goodness!!!