Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Birthday party
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:50 am 
Site Admin

While searching for some birthday cake ideas for our daughters upcoming party, I came across this article on a popular craft website. It is from the perspective of hosting a childrens' birthday party with a guest having food allergies.
I find it heart warming to knwo that there are people out there who do care. I think that they are often forgotten as it is the outraged parents who get the media attention.
http://www.dltk-kids.com/recipes/allergyalert.html

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:05 am 

That's great!

And we have also found lots of other parents who are willing to go that extra mile to help keep allergic kids safe. My sons have both been to many birthday parties where the parents were so helpful in accommodating safety issues, and doing whatever they could to make my sons feel included. And since we moved to our new school, I have had many emails and phone calls from other moms, wanting to double check treats that they were bringing into the classroom, or asking for recipes and/or safe lunch and snack ideas (our old school wouldn't ask for a "ban" on our sons' allergens or even give other parents anaphylaxis info, so the other parents for the most part simply didn't know).

So for every person we've heard making a snide comment or every b-day invitation that wasn't given because their allergies were too much trouble, there have been a handful of really kind, concerned parents willing to help and make accommodations. It always makes me feel so happy and grateful, and really restores my faith in humanity when it happens :D.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema