You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:41 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:04 pm 

I have a 9 month old son, who on June 17th we ended up at emergency with bloody mucousy stool (very runny) in his diaper. In total he had only 3 diapers like this. The doctor told us that it was a milk protein allergy. I don't know if I agree with that diagnosis though and this is why:

1. when he was first born at 9lbs 14oz we had to supplement him for the first couple of weeks until my milk supply was up. We used a milk based formula which he seemed to have no problems with.

2. I have always drank a lot of milk (we go through about 12L a week between myself and my husband), and this was the only time he had a reaction. The doctor at emerg told me to change my diet, but then our own doctor said not to, so I'm still drinking a lot of milk, and he has never had another reaction (I am still nursing him)

3. He eats Mum Mum rice cakes (which have skim milk) with no reactions.

The few days before his reaction the only change in his diet was we introduced peas. I had Chinese food for supper on Wednesday night (which was heavy on soy, something not normal in my diet) and then we gave him peas thurs am for the first time, Friday pm - which he threw up, and Saturday pm, then it was Sunday am that we were at emerg. Friday night I also had a hamburger of questionable done-ness.

My son is a very good natured baby, who is rarely upset. (definitely not colicky) He very rarely throws up or spits, he has never had a diaper rash. He did have a mild case of cradle cap, but that did not last very long. The only symptom was the bloody mucossy loose stool, and it only occurred the one day, with 3 diapers. (also, we had 3 poopy diapers in an hour, with the 3rd being the 1st bloody one, then the other two were within 3 hours of the first)

I would like to start giving him cheese and yogurt, but am scared to do so. As I said before i don't think he has a milk protein allergy as the doctor diagnosed because he hasn't reacted to anything else and because of the amount of milk I drink. I thought I would ask opinions here, with people who do have to deal with true allergies, and know what is normal and what is not. Thank you very much - MG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:27 pm 

A milk protein allergy needs to be diagnosed by an allergist. I'm assuming it was the ER doc who told you it was a milk allergy, he has no way of knowing. If this doctor suspected one...he should have given you a referral. I would suggest you see your family doctor and get a referral from him/her to see an allergist.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:39 am 
Site Admin

I too, would suggest you ask for a referral to an allergist. Call the allergist and ask to be placed on there cancelation list so that they can call you if they have an earlier appointment. You will have to take the appointment with little notice but you'll get your son seen quicker.
IIn the mean time, I would suggest that you not introduce any new foods and refrain from feeding those which you are unsure of.
You are getting conflicting advice because there have not been any definative studies linking proteins in breast milk to allergic reaction. Much has been done regarding peanut protein but not other allergens.
Many Dr's feel that more most be done and that the studies be double blind studies (gold standard for scientific experiments) with a larger group being studied. So Dr's are on their own in terms of what they tell a mother.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:46 pm 

I agree with the above . . . also, I would look into celiac disease because it causes GI issues, is so common and commonly goes undiagnosed. In my experience, GI doctors who are associated with a university and also GPs who have attended med school recently are aware of celiac . . . but a lot of dr's aren't.

I hope you can figure this out soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:38 pm 

Maybe it's the peas? Perhaps a legume connection? Do you eat peanut butter? If yes, how is he after you eat it and he nurses? (peanuts and soy are also legumes) I agree that you don't want to give him foods that you're not sure about. An anaphylactic reaction can escalate very quickly (if he were to have one). I've had some great doctors, but have also had a few that gave some dangerous advice where allergies were concerned so if you feel this is food related, I'd push to see an allergist.