You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:59 pm 

Hi, everyone!

If you're in Montreal, please consider volunteering short periods of time to the MASG, so that we can continue to grow as a group and hold ongoing meetings.

We need help with several areas, including finding new meeting space (food-free, pet-free), event planning, and promotion.

If you have two or three hours per week to spare to help with these areas, please send me a private message here.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:16 pm 

Hi, again!

The call is still out for volunteers, as listed above.

Once I have a group of volunteers together (and only at that point will it be possible), we'll be set to host new activities. Stay tuned. Or better yet, sign up by sending me a PM!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:35 am 
Site Admin

Andrea, I think it's great that you are trying to get a group going. I know that our Ottawa group has been a big help to me.

Have you concidered inviting people to help out? Sometimes that is people have good intentions but don't know where to start or what they can do to help. (people also have a hard time saying No, so in a sneaky way, this works :wink: )

Can you concider the time and location of the meetings or the topics? Are they hard to get to or at a busy time?

Why don't you plan an event to coincide with another family activity? Take some of your
exsisting promotional material and some balloons to an outdoor family event and just talk to people who come up to your booth. Start an mailing list (have a draw for an e-belt or some EnjoyLife products-you might get them free if you ask the company).
Once you have a list of interested parties, you can send out an e-mail (cause it's free) poll to see who might be interested in attending meetings, how often and get a list of topics.

I would check out websites such as:
http://www.montrealfamilies.ca/resource.htm
http://montreal.eventguide.com/
http://montreal.parentzone.com/ParentResourcesList.asp
http://www.montrealwithkids.com/eventscalendar.html
or even
http://www.hopitalpourenfants.com/en/

Oops, I just realized that I have given you more work. :roll:

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:00 am 

Hi, Susan! Thanks for your posting. I appreciate it, and your wonderful suggestions! :)

The MASG is an established group, and has been around for about five years. We have an existing e-mail list. When I arrived in Montreal in 2002, I tried to find a support group, and there was nothing in Montreal that was active at the time. So I founded the MASG.

I've put out many calls for volunteers. People are very busy, as you say, so volunteering is not always easy to do. I know that from experience. I'm hoping that by placing this listing here, new and potential members will consider volunteering. I had some volunteers, and we did meet to discuss plans, but people became busy with other things, which I more than understand. I was putting about 10 hours a week into the group at one point when I was getting it off the ground, which I'm sure other support group leaders can relate to. I'm glad that I did it, but I still want it to bear fruit.

I receive regular phone calls from individuals in Montreal and even outside Montreal (e.g., people with anaphylaxis who plan to visit Montreal). So there is something in place for individuals with questions about living with anaphylaxis, until meetings resume.

I originally held meetings at a local hospital that was generous enough to donate meeting space. After a few MASG meetings, several members told me that they didn't want to meet in a hospital. Perhaps that's why attendance was sometimes quite low despite quite a bit of promotion in the media. So the search has been on for meeting space. I'm now in need of volunteers in order to keep the group going beyond the mailing list and the phone service. I'm also looking for someone to re-design the web site.

One thing that has occurred to me is that although the MASG is open to those who speak any language, those who have become involved speak English. Anglophones are in the minority in Montreal, so perhaps that affects the numbers.

In any event, once I have a couple of volunteers on hand, we can simply forge ahead and get the meetings started again. Until then, there is the mailing list and the phone line.