Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:54 pm 

Hi,

My name is Kim, my baby girl is Anne.
Anne was diagnosed at 3 months with "suspected allergies", so since I really wanted to breastfeed her, I put myself on a hypo-allergenic diet (no dairy, soy, nuts, peanuts, fish, beef, veal, and others I forget), and she is doing great, and we are still going!!! At 7 months she was tested positive for allergies to Eggs and Barley, and at 9 months, Dairy and Wheat reacted too... and we got our first prescription of Epipen. :(

She's had two "big" reaction so far, one respiratory (which cleared by the time we got to the ER), and one major skin rash (last week at daycare). They both resolved fairly quickly, but it sooo scary for us parents! Especially since we weren't able to pinpoint what she ate or touched both times... I'm glad I found a place to share get supports for those who have dealt with this for longer than I have! :)

Have a great day everyone!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome Kim,

It is very scary at first and especially when the a person with allergies is a baby (everything goes into their mouth!).

I comment you for keeping up with the breastfeeding and avoiding the potential allergens yourself. You may have some recipes you can share.

I see you are in Montreal, you may want to check out the "Support Groups" section as there is a support group in Montreal which meets.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 4:13 pm 

Hi, Kim. I run the Mtl. Ana. Support Group. Feel free to send me a PM. It might take a couple of days for me to get back to you, though.

Last edited by Andrea_MASG on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 am 

Hi Kim,

I'm new here myself and was just reading your post. I was sat here thinking if your little girl is having a reaction to both wheat and barley is it possible she's ACTUALLY reacting to gluten(which is in both wheat and barley) ? Maybe they've tested for that already, I don't think it mentioned gluten in your post, but I know my boy reacts to gluten(and egg whites and milk (cows and goats) and peanuts(and baked beans and peas)Anyway gluten is in wheat, (breads, cereals, pastas) barley, rye, etc. Hopefully it's not that, but just thought I'd mention it in case gluten's being overlooked when they test her.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:48 pm 

Allergic to it all wrote:
Hi Kim,

I'm new here myself and was just reading your post. I was sat here thinking if your little girl is having a reaction to both wheat and barley is it possible she's ACTUALLY reacting to gluten(which is in both wheat and barley) ?

:wink:

They did test for oats and she was fine with that. I'm staying away from rye until she gets re-tested in January. I did ask her allergist last time about gluten, and she said that it was most likely just wheat (since she didn't react to oats). Thanks for the head's up, though! :)

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:54 am 

About the gluten issue---you may want to check out the discussion of celiac on the board.

I personally was diagnosed with a wheat allergy. It is true that I have a wheat allergy. But I also thought I was reacting to rye, barley, oats. I tested negative for an allergy for these foods on the skin prick test. I stayed away from rye and barley but put up with the 'milder' reaction to oats for a time.

But then I landed myself in a GI doctor's office for acid reflux issues . . . he tested me for celiac (which can cause reflux). Some of the blood tests were positive. The blood tests for celiac are different from allergy tests . . . in the blood test they look for different antibodies. Someone who has celiac generally tests negative for an allergy with gluten-containing foods.

Not saying that this is the case with your daughter---but just throwing it out there in case she does have issues with gluten.