You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: craft supplies
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:42 pm 

My daughter's school is looking to list craft supplies that would be of danger to allergic children. Obviously nut and nut shells top the list and we added egg cartons, milk cartons. Can anyone think of any other items that are commonly used in children's crafts that would be a hazard?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:01 pm 

I would say any food jars or containers, plastic or glass (i.e. PB jars, nutella jars, mayonnaise jars, veg. oil bottles), would sea shells pose a risk to those with shell fish allergies?, I could see someone trying to use those tiny plastic creamer containers that you see in restaurants for coffee. I'd say no to sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, or dried beans used as decorations for gluing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Craft activities may need to be adjusted to omit allergens (e.g. peanut butter bird feeders, play dough with peanut butter, egg white icing for gingerbread houses, tempura paints which may contain egg).

http://aaia.ca/en/safe_return_to_school.htm

Other considerations are pasta used to make necklaces or collages. Playdough which may have become contaminated by food residue on hands. Corn allergies should be aware of the potential of cornstarch in a wide variety of products.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:46 pm 

wheat

Lots of times teachers have the students do paper mache with a water and flour mixture. This is a risk not only to those with a wheat allergy, but also a mold allergy because if it doesn't dry properly it can develope mold.

I now use a mixture of water and white glue for paper mache.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:13 pm 

Some pencil crayons and markers contain soy. If there is a child who is contact reactive to soy, I'm sure his/her family would give a heads up. In my experience, Crayola has been great at disclosing clearly what ingredients go into their products. Have fun!