You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Labelling laws
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:13 pm 

I don't know about everyone else out there, but I do think that food labelling should be more precise than what it is. I am a mother of a teenaged son, who has a life- threatening allergy to all products containing dairy (he is anaphylactic). I have been fighting for years now to have the food laws changed to that EVERYTHING is included in the labelling. A very minute amount of the dairy allergen can kill my son. I would like to see what are the ingredients under the "global headings" of: seasonings, artificial and natural flavouring, etc. Also, the may or may not contain. If indeed the food manufacturing plant has any of the known allergens in its facility, then put on "may contain" or "may have come in contact with". Cross contamination happens. I do not like buying a product and wonder if this is going to be okay for my son or not. I do not like playing a game of Russian roulette. My son has gone into anaphylaxis 5 times now. And why? Don't know, except that cross contamination must of occured. I have had the Canadian Food Inspection Agency involved a couple of times now; along with going on the news, etc. I will admit that now there appears to be more "dairy" showing up on labels, but MORE PRECISE LABELLING HAS TO BE THE NORM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:58 pm 

Lynda I'm sorry your son has had so many reactions!!! I agree with you, that we as consumers and particularly those with life threatening allergies, have a RIGHT to know EXACTLY what we are eating, and what it may come in contact with. Things have improved a lot over the last few years, and I hope that they continue to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:29 pm 

I agree also ! Between my anaphlaxis and my husband's milk problems we are starting to need magnifying glasses to read the fine print on labels.
The best I saw lately was Chapman's it was a large red label that said peanut/nut free on the side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:03 pm 

I love company's like Chapman's who put it out front too. I know what you mean about he labels, I need longer arms! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:27 pm 

I saw the new Chapman's TV commercial recently--the one which presents their company as concerned about peanut-allergic children. This is good news--it means that they think that people with allergies and their families and friends are a significant market. Also the commercial makes their company look good and associates their food with safety. Other companies might see this as profitable as well and follow suit.

Post subject: Post topic
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:29 pm 

That commerical is really good for us :D We are a voice that needs to be heard and someone is listening. ..
Thank you again for the recomendation.
Kelly and family

Post subject: Food Labeling
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:34 pm 

These incidents happened to me about fifteen years ago in Canada.

I am highly allergic to eggs. One day at a bed & breakfast, we were served corn pancakes. I felt my throat constrict when I ate part of one and instantly knew I was having an allergic reaction, probably to eggs. I became very sick and was feeling ill most of the day. The woman running the B&B knew about my allergy and said the ingredients were "creamed corn, pancake flower, milk and pepper." She did not put eggs in them. Suspecting it might be the creamed corn, we read the label and it just said "corn, water, milk (or cream) and some chemical name which I forget" - that was all. Upon relating the story to my doctor, he said that "egg albumen is used as a thickening agent in creamed corn but they don't always list it". .

I also used to buy buckets of Schneiders frozen fried chicken pieces. I hadn't bought it for a couple of years and decided to get it again. At lunch, I took two pieces out and microwaved them and ate them. About an hour later I became extremely ill and suspected the chicken. I read the label and there was no eggs listed in the ingredients so I wrote the manufacturer. I received a reply and a $10 voucher for their products. The reply stated that they had, indeed, added eggs to the recipe to make the batter stick better and it was not on the label because "they had a large supply of old boxes
and the government permitted them to use them up. New packaging would have the addition of eggs in the ingredients list". I would think the manufacturer would be required to put a sticker on the old packages saying the product "now contains eggs".

Hopefully the laws have changed requiring manufacturers to list all ingredients people might be allergic to and either change packaging or add stickers if they make changes to the recipes which involve allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 8:58 pm 

Sounds like you could have filed a lawsuit!

Last edited by Helen on Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:05 pm 

Acron;
That is not a very nice thing to happen to you, either story. You think what you suggested about adding a label would be the :idea: and possibly save a life!!!!!!!!! the big company could only spare $10:00 vocher, augh they are always so cheap !
Kelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:34 am 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere (still trying to find it I think it was the US Government) that if the ingredient does not make up 2% of the final product it is not required on the ingredient label.
Doesn't the Canadian Government require the top 8 allergens be listed? If this isn't the case it certainly should be!
How can we create a change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:31 am 

Susan, I can't find the specific information you were mentioning, and I'm kind of rushed this morning.

Here is a page at the CFIA: http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/fss ... tml#labeti
with lots of infomation available.

Actually, that 2% you mentioned could be Canadian labelling.

The Canadian Government requires some of the top allergens to be listed if they are added but no laws require the labelling of may contains.