You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:09 pm 

Hello,

I have a son who is allergic to all nuts/peanuts.

I am quite careful when it comes to trace/cross contamination. I read labels and call companies to ensure that products are made in a nut free facility or on separate lines with proper procedures to eliminate the possibility of trace. We also only frequent a very few restaurants (pizza pizza, swiss chalet, a local greek restaurant). All of this is of course quite limiting. I realize everyone has a different level of comfort. Is this what other moms are doing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:06 am 

We're very careful and avoid all trace amounts. I had to chuckle though (sorry) that you posted that avoiding trace amounts of peanuts/nuts and only going to afew restaurants is quite limiting. To me it would be wonderful. I guess it's a matter of perspective. No trace amounts of peanuts, nuts, milk, eggs, chicken...NO RESTAURANTS for us.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:21 am 

sorry for being self-centred/insensitive saskmommy. I was just comparing my current life to my former takeout/prepared food /not worried about almost everything my son puts into his mouth life. We are lucky that the general population is at least somewhat aware of nut allergies (or at least peanut allergies) unlike some of the other allergies.
Is your family able to travel or is it just to hard to deal with food? Do you always bring along food when you go to a freinds house for a meal? or do you not go to a freinds house for a meal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Admin

Personally, I don't like to trust others to get it right. I don't mind my mother preparing food as she is very good. She was a research scientist so she has informed herself and is very careful. Other than that I don't trust others. I have caught good friends who are sympathetic and who do get it making easy mistakes. Dd just doesn 't relax and enjoy herself. In fact, she will often refuse to eat even if she's hungry so for us it's just easier to bring some favourite meal for her.
We always bring her meal to a restaurant. We may ask them to wash their hands, warm it up in it's microvable container and plate it on a freshly washed plate. (I don't trust kitchens for cross-contamination) It depends on how we are recieved.
We travelled this summer to Banff for a wedding and had a great time! You can find postings under the travel section that you might find helpful.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:56 pm 

Quote:
Is your family able to travel or is it just to hard to deal with food? Do you always bring along food when you go to a freinds house for a meal? or do you not go to a freinds house for a meal?

We travel in an RV...so our own kitchen, and that only works when its RV season...when its not we stay home. If we go on a day trip we pack a lunch. We DO NOT go to friends houses for a meal...not even families houses for holidays. Last time I tried having a meal at a family home, it was a birthday, 3 years ago, I had agreed to bring the cake, BUT my MIL had to make the traditional one too (angelfood...holy eggs and milk) that everyone is used to for tradition :roll: . My nephews ate it...were COVERED in it and ran around the house touching everything...then my MIL decided to wipe my daughters highchair (brought from home) with the same cloth she just wiped up spilled milk off the floor with. Needless to say I learned a big lesson that day...it's just so hard to trust anyone when it comes to food...and my kids weren't even eating food prepared by someone else.

I know that it sucks to be limited by peanut/nut free foods vs life without allergies. Luckily so many people and companies are aware and safe food options for you are a-plenty. It's just not worth risking your childs life consuming trace amounts. I do know kids whose parents let them comsume trace amounts...but these are kids with way out of control asthma, and kids who get hospitalized occassionally for their asthma or horrendous eczema...which I'm sure has to do with the trace amounts of allergens they consume.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:24 pm 

susangoodman I don't think you are being self-centred.
I agree that a healthy dose of perspective is good and it helps us realize that we may feel badly right now (for whatever reason), but things could be worse (on many levels). We will always find people who *seem* to be in a better or worse off position than ourselves.
We have a great little allergy-aware on-line community here and unlike our "real world lives", people here with food allergies are the rule and not the exception. We may differ in the number of allergens we're avoiding, but we're all in the same "food allergy" boat. Most of us here understand the impact of living with food allergies.

What I'm trying to say (without offending anyone) is that regardless of the degree to which food allergy touches your life (number of allergens you're avoiding, type of allergen, awareness of a particular allergen i.e. not top 10, etc.), in our "real world lives", at times avoiding one food can feel like ten. I think it's important to acknowledge that in our own communities and living our lives day-to-day, most of us feel somewhat isolated by the whole experience and I think that's why we come here -- so we don't feel so alone with it all. While numbers are unfortunately increasing, in the general population people living with food allergies are still the exception.

I only *personally* know one other family that has a child with food allergies. This can make me feel very different at times, and even though you and I are *only* avoiding peanuts and other nuts, I understand how you feel. We live our lives just as you do. Although I accept our reality, and accept how having a child with food allergies has changed our lives -- I do wish we could just participate in that BBQ, or stop off and eat at that roadside diner because it's 5:00pm and we're on the road and hungry. I just wanted to say that I don't think you should feel badly for "feeling badly" about how food allergies has changed your lives -- we all feel that way from time to time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:52 pm 

I avoid all trace amounts of my allergens -- peanuts & sesame.

We used to travel every year from Toronto to PEI. Packed food for the trip and hoped for good weather. We have eaten in the car in a bad storm, but I don't like doing that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:27 pm 

thank you so much for all of your input

I feel after listening to all of your responses that I am "doing the right thing" with trace and our sons allergies.

thank you all for your suggestions and support. I find it very reassuring to speak with a group that "gets it" and that I can bounce things off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

This is a great discussion but I think I'll move it to Other Allergy Topics because I think that we can all relate and besides...we aren't really having a live chat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:41 pm 

Let me put it this way: would you eat something if I told you it may contain traces or arsenic? Neither would I. Same goes for traces of peanuts or any other allergens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:23 pm 

After DD's diagnosis I was quite relaxed about giving her some foods that said "may contain" that she had eaten safely previous to her allergy diagnosis. We also continued to eat some foods from local food shops that she had safely eaten. That ended earlier this year when she anaphylaxed on a muffin I thought to be safe because she had eaten it hundreds of times before. She ate half the muffin in the morning and was fine. She then ate the other half in the late afternoon and began to anaphylax. Since then she only eats food from our home and her grandparent's home ( they have banned all nut and may contain nut products from their home).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Gem, I'm sorry you had to find out the hard way. :(
I'm glad your little girl is OK and I'm super thrilled to hear that her grandparents are so careful! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:55 pm 

We are lucky to have such an understanding family. It makes up for the other set of grandparents who often serve treats that contain nuts( cakes covered with slivered almonds for example.) whenever we are over. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:41 pm 

I am pretty cautious about egg but if we've tried a food with "may contain milk" without incident then I'm okay to try it again. That said, my son has not had an ana reaction and the allergist felt he was at low risk of having one.

If people are eating something very unsafe like egg salad I will keep my son away from them.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:37 pm 
Site Admin

I actually find that we are over cautious (if you can be). We made some knee jerk decisions when first diagnosed that I have to now question. We basically refused to eat anything that we were not 100% sure was safe, which is fine but we didin't do the leg work to make the decision.

We hadn't eaten hams with a casing but opted for those in the net. Why? Because we didn't always know what was in the casing. (I don't think it's on any label I've read) We didn't call, we just avoided. We just don't buy anything that contains caramel because it can be milk or sugar derived. We could make the call to inquire but it's just as easy to pick up the can/jar next on the shelf that doesn't contain caramel.

Now years later, I find that I need to think about what we don't eat and why. I might just be able to open our pantry to new foods if I open my mind first.