You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

There are some wonderful bottled stir-fry sauces out there which all contain corn starch. My allergy si not so severe that I don't have a tiny bit of latitude, but I would rather save that for situations where I truly don't have any control e.g. at other people's houses. So I am looking for some recipes I can make at home: honey-garlic sauce, teriyaki sauce and other similar things for stir-fry. Cheap/economical recipes are appreciated.

I also would love a good recipe for breaded fish sticks which I can make, freeze and reheat later. These used to be something I would take in lunches because we are not allowed meat at my workplace, but all of the batter in the frozen store ones has corn flour and corn starch. I am not a huge fish fan and fish sticks were the only way I would eat fish, so I would like to replicate the store-bought ones as much as possible. And in the cheapest most economical way possible too :)

Misc (pollen, grass, mold, dogs, cats)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:33 pm 

I don't have any sauce recipes off hand - but could you go to one of the recipe sites and plug in your things to avoid and look for recipes there? See http://ottawaasg.com/OASG2006/modules.p ... link&cid=4 for some recipe web sites - in particular
- All Recipes site: lets you plug in the foods you DON'T want
- Food YOU Can Eat site: ditto

For fish, we just use rice milk (dairy allergy) and regular flour to fry it... We've never frozen it after and then heated it up, but I have warmed up leftovers the next day and it's been fine (although not super crispy).

We have also used crushed Rice Krispies as a breading for veal, so that might work on fish. If Rice Krispies aren't safe for you perhaps there is an alternative but similar kind of cereal that you could try...?

Hope this helps a bit.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:45 am 
Site Admin

I'm not sure which stirfry sauces you are referring to but teryaki sauce is mainly soy sauce, garlic and sugar or honey. In place of cornstach to thicken you can use tapioca starch. It gives a lovely shine to the foods.
Sweet and sour sauce is mainly ketchup, vinegar and sugar with tapioca starch to thicken.
You can find tapioca starch at most health food stores or at a chinese grocery store.
When we stirfry, we usually heat a few tbsp of oil in the wok with 1 tbsp minced ginger and 1 tbsp minced garlic; add meat and cook 1-2 minutes; add longest cooking veggies and add shorter cooking veggies as you continue to cook; in the last few minutes add bean sprouts and a 1/4 cup soy sauce/water/stock; place lid on and steam 1-2 minutes; add 1 tsp tapioca starch which has been disolved in 1/3 cup cold water and fold into the mixture to thicken and coat the food.
If you stirfry a lot you may want to purchase some chinese 5 spice powder or look into the fish sauces or oyster sauces. I don't know if you can eat these.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb