You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: First trip to Ottawa!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:28 pm 

We just returned from a 3 day trip to Ottawa and we had a great time. We stayed at Minto Suites Hotel which was just a few blocks from the parliament builidings. The suite was beautiful - full kitchen, one bedroom, all the kitchen ware, etc. I have to say that I was a "bit" paranoid about cross contamination - when we arrived I cleaned everything my kids could possibly touch with a cleaner that contains bleach! I even brought my own frying pan and toaster (although they provided one which I did not feel com :D fortable using). After a day I "relaxed" and we actually had a great time - we're already planning our next trip for the summer (either Quebec City or Florida - any suggestions?) I have to say that it took a lot of preplanning (I cooked some of the meals at home the day before and packed them into tupperware so that i wouldn't be spending all my time in the kitchen) but the smile on my kids' faces was worth it.

boys' mom
4 year old - ana to milk, egg, peaches, peanuts, nuts
8 year old - ana to peanuts, nuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:35 pm 
Site Admin

I wouldn't feel comfortable using someone elses toaster either.
I find travelling to be stressful in the planning stages but empowering upon returning home.
I like tto think that what you spend on groceries is nothing compared to what you'd spend if you ate at restaurants for each meal.
On our last trip, we averaged $10.00 per person per day for food.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin

I have a new secret weapon for road trips - a Breville grill / panini maker. I'm loving it.

You can make toast, sandwiches, pancakes, bacon, grill meat, you name it. And it opens up completely so you can use the griddle side and the flat side simultaneously. It's not small, but you can use it in place of frying pans and toasters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:41 pm 

Hey, that's what I need!

http://www.breville.com.au/products_detail.asp?prod=207

Gwen, do you know where they can be found in TO?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:23 am 

I just saw a Breville grill in this week's "Home Outfitters" flyer -- it reads "Breville Gourmet Grill $89.99, comparable value $129.99".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:48 pm 

We have a similar one by Cuisinart, and love it. I'll have to remember to use it for travel. Good idea!

http://www.cuisinart.ca/en/product.php? ... 6&cat_id=5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:40 pm 

thanks, ethansmom! I did see this before the sale ended on Sat. I picked one up. It wasn't the same one that Gwen was describing . .. it doesn't open up fully, and it doesn't have the flat griddle. I'm hoping that it will still cook my flatbread, though.

What caught my eye about this particular brand is the fact that it doesn't have the typical non-stick coating. I inquired (after purchasing the grill!), and quantanium still does contain that environmentally unfriendly chemical that is in teflon :( I swore I wouldn't buy any more teflon . . . my guess would be that the Breville grill would be safe--the coating does sound durable-- but one can never be 100% sure, and regardless of product safety, teflon is a pollutant.

I'm still glad I got the grill, though. I really do need some way of cooking meat when travelling.

Post subject: travel
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:48 am 

Another thing I find handy to travel with is a hot pot express - it's a kettle only you can also cook with it. I've made pastas,warmed up soups,used it as a kettle,boiled vegetables in it, warm up weiners, etc.. I purchased it at Walmart for about $16.00.

Also with travel I haven't been very brave to travel so in lieu in order to have family vacation time we purchased a large permanent trailer in Wasaga Beach this summer and the children love it so much and we get to holiday while preparing our own meals.

As I mentioned at the conference in Ottawa last weekend I found mapquest very handy in preparing for our trip to Ottawa. I wanted to find out the nearest hospital, grocery store, restaurant, (of course Hallmark for webkins - you'll understand if you have a daughter under 13 :wink: ). It was wonderful I didn't realize that along with residential addresses you could find businesses.

daughter allergic to dairy,eggs,peanuts, soy, intolerance for potatoes, whole wheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:06 pm 

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't heard of the hot pot express. I might be able to cook rice pasta in it.

Having a lot of gadgets seems to be the key to travelling with mutliple food allergies! I've travellled on a few occasions without plug-in appliances, and sometimes I have to cook extra the times that i have access to a stove for the day or so that I only have access to a bar fridge and microwave and really hope there are no travel delays! (I suppose I could microwave meat, but I'm not keen on the idea. The microwave is good for breakfast and for fruit and frozen veggies . . not so good for rice and meat.)

Anyhow, having more appliances will make travelling much easier (unless there is a power outage, in which case I would be in trouble!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Admin

Hey Helen,

I missed your earlier question - glad you got the Breville. I'm anti-Teflon too, but I do think this baby is better quality than most. We make paninis now daily in the Allergic Living kitchen. We're loving that thing.

Power outage: I shudder to think. I'd have had no food, no coffee and have bad bangs from hair dried by air instead of blow-drying. Not a pretty picture.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:08 pm 

I do have one emergency source of cooking power in case of a power outage. I bought a large beeswax candle in a tin with metal strips one can rest a pot on. (It is supposed to provide enough heat to boil water.) I haven't had an occasion to use it! I hope it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:54 pm 
Site Admin

You can boil water in a paper cup over a candle!
Paper burns at 415F (232C) and water boils at 212F (100C)
http://www.yumyum.com/recipe.htm?ID=20331

So you can have your coffee or tea! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 8:58 pm 

Hey, that's a cool idea! I'd want to use a beeswax candle, though. When I was a kid, I was *so* excited by my discovery that I could toast marshmallows over an open candle. A friend's father told me that wasn't a good idea---he said that candles give off toxic fumes which might get into the marshmallows. I think he was right about that. I suppose the petroleum by products would have less of a chance of getting into the cup, but still, I'd stick to beeswax.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:37 pm 
Site Admin

Provided I don't set the cup on fire. I'm so handy. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Just don't use a wax cup! :wink:

(And who said we would be the first to persih in an emergency? We who are so resourceful? hmf!)