You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:14 pm 

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the allergy game. My almost 2 year old son Noah has a milk allergy and we are in the process of discovering if he has any others. But milk is all we are sure of for right now. I am slowly starting to find some milk free products in my area – thank heavens! But I do not know how to approach letting my little guy happily and safely participate in Halloween this year. Does anyone know of any locally available milk free chocolates out there? Also - I was contemplating handing out ‘safe’ treats for Noah to my hoping he could fully be able to participate in trick or treating. And it would save me from having to take the poor little guys’ goodies away at the end of the night too! Does anyone have any experiences with this?

I live in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and I am also looking for a local bakery that can make character birthday cakes, holiday cupcakes, cookies and treats for children, but that can also accommodate food allergies. I know this is probably a pretty tall order but if anyone is able to help point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Amy,

Glad you have found us. There are lots of threads about safe foods under the shopping section here.
You might want to it out. There is a thread about safe cakes in the Ottawa area: http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... php?t=2205

At 2 years of age you may want to decide on an approach to Halloween that works for you and implement it. Check out your local library for the book Alexander Goes Trick or Treating and discover how one little elephant who is allergic to peanuts keeps safe on Halloween https://www.foodallergy.org/shoppingcar ... uctcd=AKTT

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:54 pm 

We've found that the easiest way to have chocolates is by melting safe choc chips into molds. We melt them in a heat resistant bowl over a pot of boiling water. We add stuff like raisins, rice crispies etc.

These are the ones we usually use http://enjoylifefoods.com/our_foods/cho ... chips.html there are a few other safe bracnds as well.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am 

I prepare my chocolates and other safe treats and put them into Halloween treat bags (I buy a variety of bags at the bulk barn and tie up the bags with bows) and then drop off the bags to our neighbours and family members prior to our arrival on Halloween night. This way we do not have to worry about removing unsafe treats from their bags. This works well for now since my kids are young. As they get older, we will figure something else out. We only go to about 10 houses but they are happy with that. They receive enough candy and they are usually anxious to get home to see the children at our door.

Post subject: Bakeries in Ottawa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:23 pm 

In answer to your question about bakeries, there actually is an allergy-aware bakery in Ottawa. It's called Trillium Bakery and there is one on Wellington street near Westboro and another on Belmont in Old Ottawa South. I know that they have no peanuts at all in their operation (the only allergen I asked about) and that there a number of other items that are free of other allergens. I am pretty sure they will take special requests as well.

Cheers,

Susan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

SusanJB-Cambodia, wow! The internet is truly global! :D

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb