You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Epi-Pens
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:26 pm 

I am very confused I just discovered I have severe allergies to shellfish and parabens which is a preservative in almost everything and I have had conflicting informaiton given to me as to when to use my epi-pen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to when I should use my epi-pen because I have been told as soon as I start having any kind of reaction and then I have also been told to wait until I have severe symptoms. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Post subject: epipen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 3:55 am 

Hi

I can only go by what I have told. Since the beginning of June I have developed an allergy to some medications. I had a severe reaction and ended up in the hospital with
hives. I have asthma so I asked my family dr if I should have an epipen and he ended up giving me two. I am going on a driving trip on Friday with my family so it makes me feel
better knowing that I have something in case an emergency does happen.
I have had allergies since I was 10 but I never had a severe allergic reaction.
I would suggest you ask your doctor.

good luck and I hope you get some answers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:41 am 

I would ask for some clearer guidelines from your doctor as well--it might depend on the severity of your reaction, etc. The reason why some people say to take the epi right away is because allergic reactions can start off as 'mild' and then suddenly become severe. The epipen is more likely to take care of the reaction before the reaction reaches that point, and if you are having a serious reaction you don't want to wait that long. Good luck! Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

My understanding is that the medicine in an EpiPen is not harmfull if given but not required so...err on the side of caution.
Reactions can start slowly and escalate rapidly or be mild or be very quick acting and each time it can be different.
I say, If it is an ingested allergen, then take at the first sign of a reaction; if it is a contact aergen then take as soon as you have any reaction having to do with breathing or facial swelling/tingling. (in other words if you touch something and get a hive-don't take it, but if wash and take an antihistamine)
This is just my opinion. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:35 am 

:) Those are some helpful tips as I do feel more comfortable carrying my epi-pens with me and it makes sense if the allergen is ingested use it at first signs and if it is a contact reaction wait until there is swelling and difficulty breathing. It helps a lot.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:42 am 

I was curious how many epi-pens do you have? Do you have only one or do you carry an extra-one in case the first one fails or you can't get to the hospital fast enough and you have to use the second one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:21 pm 
Site Admin

We carry 3 EpiPens at all times. If we are further away, (cottage) we pre-determine where to meet the ambulance and have someone ready to call 911 with that request.
We aso carry Benedryl and her asthma medication.

Last edited by _Susan_ on Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:37 pm 

I carry children's benadryl in the same case as the epipen. The allergist told us to take the benadryl at the first sign of a reaction, and then use the pen (if the allergens were ingested).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:19 am 

I carry benadryl also along with my epipen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:24 am 

I carry three epipens and liquid benadryl although I haven't talked to my doctor about whether to take antihistamine or how much to take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:41 pm 

My daughter's allergist told us that she couldn't take "too much" benadryl, and in the case of an emergency more is better than less. I haven't researched this, but in the case of a severe reaction, I would give her at least double the usual dosage for her weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:14 pm 

At the recent Allergy Expo held in Toronto, one of the allergists said that if any two body systems are involved in the allergic reaction, the Epipen should be administered. For example, if you have body hives and then vomit, the Epipen should be administered. You do not necessarily have to have difficulty with breathing in making your decision to administer the Epipen. There is no harm in adminstering if you are not quite sure - better to err on the side of caution.

We typically carry 2 Epipens and liquid benadryl (our son is 3 years old). If we are further away from a hospital, we carry 3 Epipens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:11 am 

I always carried one and I started to carry Benadryl recently. I never eat anything unless I prepared it or my mother did (she has no peanuts in her house) and I read label 2-3 times to makes sure. I never leave Montreal unless I'm in a surrounding subburbian area and there is always and hospital close by.

Post subject: Epi pens
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:11 am 

I was never given a bee sting kit or what ever was used in the old days, but in the late 80's or early 90's I finally was given a epi pen. Also the Pedicatric Allergist for my youngest son was we did not have fish or shellfish in our home so my youngest son did not get one. He has anaphylaxis to shellfish/fish also.
I am to take benadryl and up to 50 mgs, if I start to not be able to swallow, or have stomach cramps to be given the needle and pills and go the hosp.
We live about 10 minutes from a hosp and that was also a suggestion back about 13 years ago.
I have two epi pens was told if I need the second. My Husband was given directions that if the symtoms still contiue and we are not to the hosp in 20 minutes I may have my second epi pen. We are mainly to use it if the other one does not work.
I do not eat anything that we do not make at home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 12:55 pm 

Julie wrote:
At the recent Allergy Expo held in Toronto, one of the allergists said that if any two body systems are involved in the allergic reaction, the Epipen should be administered. For example, if you have body hives and then vomit, the Epipen should be administered. You do not necessarily have to have difficulty with breathing in making your decision to administer the Epipen. There is no harm in adminstering if you are not quite sure - better to err on the side of caution.

We typically carry 2 Epipens and liquid benadryl (our son is 3 years old). If we are further away from a hospital, we carry 3 Epipens.

Thanks for this, that is really interesting, I have never heard of the two system rule. Isn't it amazing the mixed information we are all given by our allergists. I wish there was a cut and dried rule, though I guess no two people and no two reactions are necessarily the same. Its that uncertainty that helps to make ana so frightening. :(