You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:00 am 

I went to my son's schools yesterday and I was talking to the teacher he had last year. My son was the first kid he ever had in his class with LTA, and he was just awesome.

He told all the kids in no uncertain terms that they were not to bring peanut or peanut butter (I don't try to limit "may contain..." products), and he had the school nurse come in and talk about it, show them all a video, and teach them how to use the Epipen. He and the school nurse took the initiative on this, I did not have to ask.

He had also once stopped me at a track meet (before he was ever Aaron's teacher) and told me that he had seen that Aaron had asthma, and that I should be sending his puffer with him at all times, especially if he was running outside in the cold. (I was really bad at dealing with his asthma, it took me a lot longer to be on top of it then with his anaphylaxis, for some reason)

This year he has 2 kids with LTA's in his class, and the parents won't have them carry their Epipens. This is a grade 4 class, so they are old enough. The Epipens are kept in the office. He is worried that if there was an emergency, the delay could be long. He also noted that when they go on field trips, he has a million things to remember, and it would be so helpful if they had their Epipens on them so he didn't have to stress about remembering that, too.

I was talking to a young scientist who is doing a study on if kids have immediate access t o their auto-injectors, and only 1/2 did. Most were kept in nurses offices, or school offices, but there are usually no nurses on site. I think this is dangerous as most kids would be likely to have reactions during recess and after lunch break, when they are outside. At that time, most children have very little supervision and most school staff are on breaks of their own, so offices are sometimes not staffed at these times.

I also talked to an older researcher from another country who could not understand why we would want our kids carrying their auto-injectors at 6 years old when kids don't usually die of LTA's so young, they are usually about 12 and up before they really seem to be at risk of a fatality. He felt it would traumatize the kids and make them feel different for no reason. I explained that I want the Epipen to be so much a part of my kid that by the time he is 13 he would never question wearing it, it should be like underwear and brushing teeth, automatic. And my kid is different, most people are in some way. Different is not bad, life would suck if we were all the same. Kids today are schooled in inclusive settings and so they are very aware and accepting of differences, it's usually the adults that have trouble accepting that different is not another word for bad/undesirable. I don't know if I convinced him, but I know in my heart that I am right - my kid has worn his Epipen since kindergarten, and I have been carrying it around since he was one, and it took us many years of not always remembering to get to the point that we remember 99% of the time. (Actually, my kid has to remember, I just started buying lots of epipens so the odds of having one somewhere close by is almost 100% now, because I found I forgot a lot.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:29 pm 

I agree with you. Having lived through 2 major reactions, I know for certain that if my daughter had a reaction in the far corner of the school yard she would not make it if someone had to run to the office to get her twinject.

You are very fortunate to have such a caring and responsible teacher at your school!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

Pam that teacher sounds wonderful.

I think there are a surprising number of "non-compliant" parents. Believe it or not, that's why in Sabrina's Law, MPP Dave Levac actually decided to "require" that the parents inform the school of any LTAs. So the schools would actually know!

In terms of the researcher you mention, that's hogwash about young children. The fatalities in older kids are linked to the fact that most "were not" carrying their EpiPens, and they were eating out. E.g. they were taking more risks now that they were teens.

It's true that hormone changes are considered something of a risk in asthma, but the bigger association by far in teen fatalities has been access to epinephrine and speed with which it's given.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:47 am 
Site Admin

gwentheeditor said:
[list=]I think there are a surprising number of "non-compliant" parents. Believe it or not, that's why in Sabrina's Law, MPP Dave Levac actually decided to "require" that the parents inform the school of any LTAs. So the schools would actually know!
Quote:

I think that it's easy to forget that those who seek out information and hence visit websites such as this are conscientious, but there are others who don't. There are those who simply purchase familar foods without reading labels, don't carry EpiPen/twinjects, don't warn caregivers or schools about food allergies etc.

We are a true cross section of society. One only has to look at all of the smokers who continue despite the warnings, the speeders and those caught in seatbelt blitzes. Not everyone follows the rules.

This is imortant to remind children as they enter adolencense as they want to assimilate with their peers and separate from their parents. I suspect this is a large reason why they don't want to carry their EpiPens etc.

Pamela Lee- I think it's great that your son's teacher is so aware! I think it will serve your son well to see that others besides his immedate family take this seriously.

[/list]

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb