You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Help!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:03 pm 

I have a 22 month old who has now 2 confirmned allergies... milk and soy. This is all very new. He will not drink Alementium formula and while he will take small amounts of rice milk it doesn't provide him with adequate nurtition at his age. I was allready struggling with the Milk free diet now I am back to sqare one again. Anyone who can offer any help would be much appreciated. Milk & Soy free Product names would really help. Thanks.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:34 pm 

What was he drinking before now?

Hemp Bliss http://www.manitobaharvest.com/index.asp is a milk/soy free substitute that is a source of protein.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:44 pm 

Hi Amy, and welcome!

Our son, who is almost 2-1/2, drinks "original enriched" Rice Dream and takes a multivitamin to round things out. Maybe your son would like the vanilla flavoured rice milk?

Though I breastfed ds until 21 months, we tried giving him Alimentum a few times, and he wouldn't drink it either (I sure wouldn't -the smell alone is horrid!).

Milk and soy is a tricky combo when searching for safe foods. Let me know if there are certain things you're looking for.

You've come to the right place for help. This forum has helped us through a lot! : )

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Welcome Paul*Amy, when I switched to a milk alternative for our daughter, I was still nursing. I gradually got her onto the sippy cup and began to add a little of the replacement (in our case I was able to use soy milk but you could use rice milk), adjusting every few days so that the ration of breastmik to alternative milk decreased. Before long she was drinking soy milk as if it was breast milk!
I'm not sure what your little one is taking that he enjoys but if you can try this method it might help.
Good luck!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: Rice...
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:30 pm 

Well my little guy will drink the Vanilla Rice Dream from time to time but that's about it.... It's so nerve racking because I know he isn't getting the protein or calcuim he needs! We started long ago on Pediasure before allergies came into the picture, then to Isomil but they were all so beautifully fortified and he drank them all so well that I felt I had some 'insurance' you know? I switched him from Polyvisol to a complete Flisntone multivitamin yesterday to help but is it enough? And any milk/soy free protein and calcium supplement suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:43 pm 
Site Admin

This thread might be of interest to you:
http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/vie ... s+darifree

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb