You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: scared
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:09 am 

I know this seems really stupid, and i suppose I should feel happy, but I just feel confused and scared.

I had my allergist appt today, and all were negative apart brazil nuts which was a mild positive......I have just had a blood test to try and confirm this is the case........weird

I will let you know when the results come.

She even said about trying a food challenge with other nuts... (i almost told her to * off in front of her face Smiley oops) but im not going to..........

strange Smiley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:59 pm 
Site Admin

There are false negatives as well as positives to the skin prick tests. Is it possible to have a skin test with actual allergens (e.g. you bring in a nut or two) before graduating to the scarier oral challenge? Or what about an ImmunoCap test?

I once was retested (spt) for shellfish - to which I'd already anaphylaxed - and surprisingly the results were negative. The allergist then called me back for another appt. so i could do a skin-prick test with actual shrimp and lobster samples as opposed to the serum extract.

When we did that, bingo, giant wheals and no doubt about the allergy. I'm sure you'd love to be allergy-free, but I completely understand the skepticism if you've reacted in past.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 9:44 pm 
Site Admin

I think that it can be scarier to be told you are not allergic to a food and therefore we don't know what you should be avoiding. At least when you know what to avoid you can read the labels, until then everything has the potential to be harmful.
Gwen is right, there are false negatives and false positives. Take your time, stick to foods you know are safe for now.
When you are ready to take the challenge, remember that it will be in the presence of a medical Dr who specializes in allergies. You will have the necessary medicine.
What ever you decide, know that we are here.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject: How odd
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:42 am 

Well, she did a blood test on me to be sure (gotta wait a month + POSTAL STRIKE!) as we were very surprised.

also, the skin prick test was different to the one I had when I was younger.

Could this of made any difference?

When I was 8 I had a drop of brazil nut extract and they put a needle on top of it, and left it in for a while, then took it out. They also didn't wipe the stuff away til the full 20mins.

On this time tho, they dropped a bit on me and used a tiny scalpel thing to slightly prick me and then wiped the stuff of, and sent me to go and wait in the waiting room for 20mins

I know its unlikely, but would their of been any difference? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:11 pm 
Site Admin

I'm pretty sure it's just a more modern version of the same test.

If you're really nervous about an oral challenge, I'm serious - ask about the skin testing with actual food product. It is often considered the step before oral challenge.

If you decide to go for the oral challenge, remember that the allergist only gives you a tiny little bit, then waits to see if you react. If no reaction, a little bit more. And so on. As Susan notes, this is under controlled circumstances - an allergist and lots of epinephrine on hand.

But I do understand the nervousness. I'd take a friend or family member for moral support if you decide to see it through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:54 am 

I don't think your reaction is stupid at all. I have been allergic to nuts for 25 years, although I have not had a bad reaction for about 20 years. Even if all my tests were negative and they told me I could eat nuts again, I seriously don't think I could. I would have a panic attack and think I was having a reaction. After not eating them for so long, there is no way I could start again.

I wish you all the best and hope you will find some understanding and comfort with this situation. Good luck!

Soccermom

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:24 pm 

Same. You nailed it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

Boy, I can't agree. While sure, I'd be nervous and hesitate about the test - I'd wait for a while to calm down about the idea. I'd then try it, providing:

- I trusted the allergist;
- All skin tests that could be done, had been done and had come up negative;
- I had a friend or relative there for moral support.

I might never "like" peanut, or soy, or shellfish, but it would be great to have one fewer allergen to worry about.

But then I'm adult onset, so I remember life before (food) allergies, life before label reading.