Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: UPDATE - New York Fries
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:20 am 

Hi,

I just wanted to provide an update to the New York Fries. In the thread back in June there was a letter posted by the company that said that they use peanut oil to coat new fryers sent to the stores and that the fryers were boiled out.

Anyway, I went to my local New York Fries (in Moncton, NB) and talked to a very knowledgeable employee about their fryers. In our case, the fryers are 7 years old and they boil them out (fill with boiling water) regularly (every week or so?). They also use brushes to scrub them down. Also, every few days they drain the sunflower oil and refill it with fresh oil. She even showed me around the equipment. She also has an allergic child (dairy), so understands the whole allergy/cross-contamination issue. At no time in those 7 years has peanut oil ever been used.

So I felt very satisfied with the response I received and feel safe to have my daughter and I eat there as our occasional "shopping mall" treat. Of course, I will still ask each time if they brought in any new fryers just to be on the safe side.

So I would encourage allergic people who enjoy NY fries to check with their local franchise to assess the situation.

Take care

Me - Asthma, some seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:03 pm 

I will be sure to talk to my local NYF. Thanks!

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 pm 

In the past, we too had eaten at New York Fries as a treat when at the mall and never had any issues (prior to the post about the use of peanut oil in the new fryers). Needless to say that when I read the previous post about the peanut oil, I was quite shocked. We haven't eaten there since but that is what I had planned on doing too. The New York Fries at our mall has been there for years too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:50 pm 
Site Admin

The New York Fries at our mall (Carlingwood) uses sunflower oil.

I noticed the sign this weekend.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb