You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 am 

[b]Does anyone know of a baby formula that contains NO dairy or soy?[/b]

Hi, it's been quite a while since I've been to the site. A pediatrician said my 6-1/2 month old granddaughter apparently has a dairy allergy. She is being breastfed and when her mom has dairy or soy she occasionally will spit up quite a large amount - not vomit (in her crib?). I was told she hasn't spit up since no dairy.

Plus she has had oral thrush continuously since she was born and same Dr. said to cut out dairy and it would go away. But we don't know if it was the lack of dairy that cleared it up or the pills the GP had Mom take to clear it up. Both the pills and no dairy done at the same time. Whether this is an allergy or intolerance I have no idea. Daughterinlaw was just told to elimiate all dairy and soy from her own diet because the baby is allergic and she is breastfeeding. If she wants to leave a formula bottle for a babysitter she needs to find a formula that contains no dairy or soy.

They are finding it diffiuclt to find such a formula. So put on your thinking caps please.

As an anaphylactic I am, of course, concerned. How do you go about finding out, for a child only 6-1/2 months old, if they have a definite allergy or intolerance?

I have asked daughter-in-law if pediatrician meant just the run of the mill things in her diet or does she mean check all ingred and risk of cross-contamination etc as I do for anaphyaxsis. Also, can dairy products be around her - other family members and other babies and their toys etc. Answer was - "Dr. said to avoid eating dairy and soy and to look at the boxes for the word dairy and soy and the only cereal she is allowed is Rice."

I know I sound like an overeprotective grandmother but there are so many variables when the word "allergy" is thrown out with not much information.

Thanks for listening and chalk this one up to a grandmother being overprotective and a worry wart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:38 pm 

Quote:
If she wants to leave a formula bottle for a babysitter she needs to find a formula that contains no dairy or soy.

I think that while the baby is in the care of a babysitter it would not exactly be the best time to give her a bottle she is not used to consuming on a regular basis. I would recommend pumping enough breast milk for the sitter to give in a bottle. If she does want to go the formula route on a regular basis...a soy/milk free formula (I'm not sure what exactly her options are) is going to be VERY pricey.

The baby should see an allergist. An allergist will determine allergy or intolerance and the best way to treat an accidental exposure if allergy is what she's dealing with. Babies stick everything in their mouths...and the adults who care for her need to be prepared if a severe reaction takes place. Only an allergist can decide if epinephrine is appropriate here...and what dose to give.

Quote:
I have asked daughter-in-law if pediatrician meant just the run of the mill things in her diet or does she mean check all ingred and risk of cross-contamination etc as I do for anaphyaxsis.

From my own experience I would avoid all ingredients and all traces as well. One more thing to discuss with an allergist.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:23 pm 

I agree with you saskmommyof2.
My daughter-in-law is home with the baby all day but there are times when they go out where it is inconvienent to nurse so they give her a bottle or when we or a friend babysits. She doesn't always have pumped breast milk ready. Never in the past have they had a problem with similac but now the doctor says no to it. The doc has writen her a brand name but is unreadable. They will call next week. Hopefully it is not that Pricey.

As far as seeing an allergist - I am very surprised the pediatrican did not suggest that.
They have several friends who have children and naturally they share toys which ultimately end up into their mouths. Plus the odd bottle or two may be laying around.

One of my problems is this - was my granddaughter just spitting up off and on for a week because she had an upset tummy or is it truly an allergic reaction.

If this pediatrian really believes she is allergic then I feel she should have arranged allergy testing and prepared my son and daughter-in-law for possible ana reaction and given them instructions just in case, as well as to how indepth her search for safe foods is to be. None of this was done and it fustrates me.

Must go or I will rant on and on and on.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by susieQ on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:54 am 

Hi,

I have a 11.5 month old who is allergic to milk, eggs, wheat an barley. I am still breastfeeding her 100%. When she was little (starting at 3 weeks) she was very gassy, was fussing when eating, had lots of diarrhea until a doctor told me to eliminate allergens in my diet (she was 3 months then). She became a completely different baby! I didn't know how unwell she was until she got better! That said, I eliminated dairy, soy, beef, veal, fish, barley, eggs, seafood, nuts and peanuts from my diet. I've never read sooo many labels in my life, and I don't eat what contains (or may contain) any of the above.

She got tested at 6.5 months, but that was a waste of time, since at that age there can be lots of false negatives... She reacted to eggs and barley, but she didn't react to milk, but we knew dairy affected her, so we still kept it away. She got tested again at 9 months, and the results were much more helpful. Milk and wheat showed up too (which made sense to us, from experience), and she got her EpiPen.

Being a baby, like you said, they put everything in their mouth. Apparently allergens don't "live" in the saliva too long, because she did "share" toys with her cousin who drinks milk formula, and didn't react at all... I was soo nervous when I couldn't get to her in time to avoid the toy being put in her mouth, but she was just fine! Phew!!! We do watch her as much as we can, and our family is very aware on how to make their houses "Anne-safe" when we visit. But in spite of our best efforts, she did have 2 reactions, but those were always outside of a family context. :( One at a friends' house with 2 young kids, where we think there must've been food in the toys, and the other at daycare, where she was sitting too close from another kid (we changed for a better place for her since then), and she got in contact with something during snack time. Both time, she got treated quickly, and was back to playing by the time we made it to the clinic!! Not to scare you, but just to say that accidents CAN happen, and the key is that adults always be prepared to react!

As for formula questions, my allergist suggested Nutramigen or Alimentum. However, compared to breastmilk and milk formulas, they are a completely different texture and taste. I tried a sip with my little girl, and she HATED it!!! :P I always try to plan a little in advance if I'm going to leave her, and have a bottle of breastmilk ready!

At this point, we did start to introduce soy and veal(recommended by our allergist, since she tested negative twice), and she does fine with it!!! :D So more variety for us!!!

Sorry this is so long winded, but I just wanted to share my experience of having a very young allergic baby!

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 10:58 am 

Thanks kdufour - I'll pass on your comments to our son and daughter-in-law. And those two formulas are worth a try. Maybe she won't mind the taste. And I think it is a great idea to always have a bottle or two of breast milk ready in case of an emergency etc. I will try to convince the mom. thanks again