You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:39 am 

My son is about to turn 1 and is scheduled to have the MMR booster. Have your children with egg allergies had this? Did you have to take any extra precautions? My pediatrician was very nonchalant about his allergies saying how common they are and how he will likely outgrow them. That is certainly what we hope for, but I know it is not a definite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:16 pm 

I have been told by several allergists that the MMR vaccine is not an issue for egg-allergic kids, but I was also rather worried and actually put off the MMR for my youngest for a bit because of that - then was forced to get it because my son couldn't start kindergarten without it.

In the end, my son didn't have a problem, but it was interesting that at the last minute our nonchalant GP got rather nervous about giving it to my son - after reassuring me for months that there was nothing to worry about! I think my son got it in 2 doses, just to be safe, in the end...

A new book that I am currently reading titled "On the Nature of Food Allergy" by Paul J. Hannaway, MD (and allergist with 35 years' experience), says this:

"Controversy exists regarding allergic reactions to MMR vaccine in egg-allergic patients. MMR vaccine contains attenuated viruses grown in chick embryo cells, and has been shown to contain tiny amounts of egg. Despite this, most severe allergic reactions to MMR vaccine occur in children who are not allergic to eggs. Allergy to other vaccine components, such as gelatin or neomycin, is responsible for many reactions. To date there have been only isolated reports describing reaction to MMR in egg-allergic patients. Thus, many authorities recommend giving MMR to egg-allergic children without skin testing to the vaccine. As I have seen several anaphylactic reactions with this approach, I recommend that severe egg-allergic children be skin tested with the vaccine. When the test is negative, the vaccine can be administered in one dose. If the vaccine skin test is positive, the vaccine can be safely administered in divided doses."

See also: SUPPLEMENTARY STATEMENT MMR VACCINE AND ANAPHYLACTIC HYPERSENSITIVITY TO EGG OR EGG-RELATED ANTIGENS from the [Canadian] National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI):

"... measles and mumps vaccine viruses, which are most widely used in Canada, are grown in chick-embryo cell culture. Even after extensive purification, final vaccine products may contain trace quantities of avian proteins resembling proteins present in hens' eggs (1,2) . Anaphylaxis after administering measles-containing vaccines is rare and has been reported in individuals with anaphylactic hypersensitivity to eggs as well as those with no history of egg allergy. In some of these instances, allergy to neomycin (3,4) or gelatin (5) was hypothesized but, in most cases, no allergen was identified (6-8 ) ."

So... I think if I had to do it over again, I would follow the approach suggested by Dr. Hannaway.

K.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 am 

Our allergist said it was okay...and that any amount of egg present (if any) would only be about the amount used in a skin prick test anyways. My youngest has had a mild allergic reaction to a vaccine (penta) so she has her immunizations done in the er now. My friends little guy (also milk/egg allergic) also has his done in the er now too...even though he's never reacted to a vaccine.

We also give my youngest daughter benadryll prior to her vaccinations now...and every 4 hours after for the first day...then reactine twice daily on day 2 after the needle. FYI...she had the MMR one before her reaction to penta, and before we started pre-dosing her with antihistamines with no reaction to the MMR.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am 

I had the same concerns - but my dr told me the MMR vaccine had a synthetic base. It did not react to my egg allergic child. However, he did say to avoid the flu shot as it is also egg based and may cause a reaction. Unfortunately, your child will need the MMR vaccine to enter into schools at age 5.
Either way, it is up to you and your comfort level as to having the vaccine. Having the shot at the dr office and waiting 1/2hr to "see" if any reaction as the drs were there, helped to adjust my comfort level about the shot.
Hope it helps,
Diane
mother 4 boys /3 no allergies - youngest age 6 PA, egg, shellfish, asthma

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:25 pm 

Dr. said MMR could be an issue so we arranged for administration at the hospital by the Allergist. He was fine dispite being Ana to egg.

As for Flu shots, everyone agrees - NO WAY for egg allergic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:19 pm 
Site Admin

We did give our daughter the MMR. The Dr advised that the risk was minimal and the risks of not having it were greater. That said, his office is across the street from a hospital and we stayed in his office for an hour after the injection was given.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:55 pm 

It is possible for egg allergic children to get the flu shot. Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto has a flu shot clinic for egg allergic children each fall. We looked into it 2 years ago because we were concerned about our daughter getting the flu since she is asthmatic. See this link for further info:

http://www.allergicliving.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=415

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:44 am 

I was told the MMR was okay but to stay in the doctor's office for an hour afterwards in case of reaction. My son has had 2 MMRs with no problem.

DS#3 - eggs, cats, dust, eczema, avoiding nuts as a precaution
DS#2 - seasonal allergies
DS#1 - no allergies
Me & DH - seasonal allergies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:39 am 

Ds had the MMR and was okay. He was also okay with the flu shot he had at 6 months old, but we have avoided it ever since his egg allergy presented at just over a year.

Marla

*Self: allergic to penicillin

Post subject: mmr vaccine
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:27 pm 

My son had the first shot of mmr and one day later had an anaphylactic reaction - now I'm not sure if this was due to the vaccine or that he had eaten pancakes with egg (at this time we weren't aware of his egg allergy). Anyway when it came to getting the second needle ( he is now 4 years old) you could say that I was a "little" weary. I spoke to the allergist and he sent my son for a blood test. Apparently, my allergist (Dr. Hummel) said that usually one dose is enough and that most likely my son has antibodies to the mmr. He went on to say that if the blood test shows that he has antibodies he will not need another vaccine. My son showed that he has antibodies and the doctor said he does not need the second vaccine. We will test him again in a few years to see if it still is the same.

boys' mom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:39 pm 

I hate to go against what everyone has said, but i had a reaction to the mmr vaccine. I'm fourteen now and not as sensitive to egg, but i am still at a level were it is too dangerous to skin test it before had, because of risk of reaction, so i just wanted to point out that it is possible, if very rare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for weighing in Frankensteinman, it's good to be reminded that there is a very real risk.
I guess that's why you should be sure to carry your auto-injector and stay at the Dr's office for a period of time aferwards if you do decide to have the vaccine.
I'm glad you were OK.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb