You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:56 am 

Hi, My name's Beth and I've been looking for you! :) I knew there must be a message board out there for people in my situation.

We recently found out my 5 year old boy is allergic to wheat(all gluten!), nuts-inc peas and baked beans, egg whites and milk(cows and goats).

I'm really REALLY having a struggle to feed him. Lunch time(school lunch boxes) are especially hard. I've tried looking on line for ideas but all I seem to get are lists of things he CAN'T have which, I'm sorry, aren't very helpful. I'm so discouraged right now and I'm reaching out! He's stopped growing and has actually lost weight instead of putting on. He's not malnourished but still I feel like I must be doing something wrong for him not to grow!

Please does anyone have any suggestions? I've said lunch boxes are hard but honestly all meals are difficult. How do you feed a child breakfast when they can't have cereal, toast, or any wheat(or oats) or milk or eggs or nuts. The boy eats so much fruit he gets a 'bad tummy' and doesn't feel full for very long.

I know I sound like I'm having a big old pity party for myself, and having read some of the other posts in this section I know I should be grateful he doesn't have it any worse than he does. I couldn't imagine being limited to 20 foods! My heart really goes out to you guys!!!

I've had a look in the recipe section as well but I think it's all pretty overwhelming. :shock: A lot of times I find recipes that are wheat free, but not dairy free or nut free or egg free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:52 pm 

I've been looking for these boards too!!! :D

My baby girl is also allergic to wheat, but I've found a few brands of breakfast cereals that contain only rice. Puffed rice and rice cakes are some of her favorites too! I know you're in the UK, so I can't help you much with where to find them, but I did by reading ALL the cereal boxes (organic or not) in my grocery store! :lol:

I've also found a company (Glutino) that makes rice bread, rice pasta and a bunch of wheat, egg and dairy free foods. I'm also thinking of getting a bread maker, so I can bake her bread from other flours so she can eventually have sandwiches in her lunch(she only has 2 teeth, so I have some time to get ready!! ;)).

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

Welcome! I'm so glad that you've found us!
I would request a referral to a dietitian is at all possible as the weight loss is a concern. I don't know what is possible in the UK.
Have you found any dairy substitutes that he can have? Can he have soy or is that a no-no as it is a legume?
Can he have a potato and corn hash or corn flakes or cornmeal (polenta) for breakfast?
You may want to look at the threads under Celiac Disease and Wheat Allergies to see how others have managed.
Good luck.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 pm 

Quote:
A lot of times I find recipes that are wheat free, but not dairy free or nut free or egg free.

If you're finding wheat free recipes you can always substitute for any dairy / nuts or eggs called for. I find these three things pretty easy to substitute. Dairy can be substituted with soy or rice milk in place of milk, dairy free marg (there are some out there...read labels carefully) or coconut oil in place of butter, soy creamer or nutriwhip in place of higher fat milk products, rice krispies or other "filler" in place of nuts or omit altogether and 1 tbsp oil + 1 tbsp water + 1 tsp baking powder = 1 egg.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:53 am 
Site Admin

I found a list of healthy breakfasts on another website and some of them you obviously can't serve but you maight be able to modify. Some ideas you may be able to try!

Quote:

carbohydrates: whole-grain cereals, brown rice, whole-grain breads and muffins, fruits, vegetables
protein: low-fat or nonfat dairy products, lean meats, eggs, nuts (including nut butters), seeds, and cooked dried beans
fiber: whole-grain breads, waffles, and cereals; brown rice, bran, and other grains; fruits, vegetables, beans, and nuts
Here are some ideas for healthy breakfasts to try:

whole-grain cereal topped with fruit and a cup of yogurt
whole-grain waffles topped with peanut butter, fruit, or ricotta cheese
whole-wheat pita stuffed with sliced hard-cooked eggs
hot cereal topped with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, or cloves
peanut butter on a bagel with fresh fruit (banana or apple wedges) and low-fat milk
breakfast smoothie (milk, fruit, and teaspoon of bran, whirled in a blender) vegetable omelet with a bran muffin and orange juice
bran muffin and yogurt with berries
hummus on whole wheat toast and milk
lean turkey on a toasted English muffin and vegetable juice
heated leftover rice with chopped apples, nuts, and cinnamon, plus fruit juice
cream cheese and fresh fruit, such as sliced strawberries, on a bread or a bagel
shredded cheese on a whole-wheat tortilla, folded in half and microwaved for 20 seconds and topped with salsa

http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/food/w ... kfast.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:46 pm 

Hi Beth

Welcome
I have a cookbook called Friendly Foods (Royal Prince Alfred Hospital Allergy Unit, Sydney) and it has lots of gluten, egg, dairy, nut free recipes.

Another good cookbook is the Kid-Friendly Food Allergy Cookbook by Leslie Hammond and Lynne Marie Rominger

kathi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:26 am 
Site Admin

How's it going now, Beth?