You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: GM Place, Vancouver
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:21 pm 

We recently took our son (who has a peanut allergy) to a hockey game at GM Place. Before we went, I called to speak with the person in charge of concessions to find out about their allergy awareness and what we should expect. The man I spoke to seemed to really take the time to listen to my questions, which included: do you sell loose peanuts (they do), what is your popcorn popped in (coconut oil!) and if there are concessions that do not sell peanuts (there are). I asked him if his staff had be talked to about the seriousness of allergies (to a degree). I told him we wanted to be prepared, as this was a very special event for us and he *totally* understood -- and gave me his cell phone number in case we had any concerns while we were at the game!

So it turns out we ate a big 'lunner' (really late lunch/early dinner) and went and just enjoyed ourselves without feeling like food was a big issue. Before the third period, I did go get the popcorn and I ordered with confidence. We also lucked out an no one ate peanuts around us (wasn't sure how I was going to deal with that, but chose to wait and see -- I was even prepared to call the concession supervisor to see if he could 'approve' a move). We DID see a lot of shells but we all maintained a safe distance and made sure to wash up when we could.

So, all in all we very much enjoyed the evening. I know I will remember the sparkle in my son's eyes as he watched his first Oiler game in person, and feel relief that we didn't let the whole allergy situation scare us. I certainly HIGHLY recommend making those calls before you go because having that phone number with me made me feel like we could handle any challenges that came our way. Well, that and we had three epipens with us! ;)

Caroline

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:17 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
I know I will remember the sparkle in my son's eyes as he watched his first Oiler game in person, and feel relief that we didn't let the whole allergy situation scare us.

I am so glad you went! I am starting to feel that we need to break out of the bubble a bit more. I am trying to see food allergies as an inconvinience instead of a death sentance. I am not trivializing the potential. It is very real. But so is the fact that there are steps we are taking to avoid the allergen and we are always carrying our Epi-Pens.

I want to remember that we have the power to halt a reaction if we recognise one and act swiftly.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:12 pm 

I feel a need to clarify -- we saw the Oilers play the Canucks in Vancouver. But to us, it will always be our first OILER game. ;)
Caroline