Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Halloween - Being Safe
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:24 pm 
Site Admin

I figured since the other thread has moved into a useful discussion of ideas on specific brands of allergen-free candy, we could start a second thread on safety and other issues here.

2 threads doesn't seem too much - since Halloween's a big deal for our community. (Though if you are concerned about Tor T-ing this year, do also take a stroll back through that older, very long thread. Many good ideas.)

To start off, in case you missed it in AL's Fall issue, here's Laurie Harada's useful column. it's posted here: http://www.allergicliving.com/columns.asp?copy_id=132

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:00 am 
Site Admin

Well, I don't know if this is were to post this but I am kind of peeved at an e-mail I received last night from out daughters Sparks leader (who is a nurse). In it she talks about planning a Halloween event at the upcoming meeting (Thursday) in which she plans to have the kids bob for apples.
Let me think...eat a hurried supper and rush off to Sparks (probably not washing hands and face or brushing teeth-who would think to do that?), place entire face into a bowl of water and bite at apples which bob away from you (but not until they have ben contaminated with traces of what you had for dinner), along comes another child who also attempts to "get" and apple...they may end up getting more than they bargained for.
Eww, let's not even think about the germ aspect!
In her e-mail she states that some children have food allergies so she doesn't want food sent from home. That is very nice of her but I will be sending our daughters treats from home (as this is the only ones I want her to eat). I will prepare a treat bag for her.
Did I mention that she wants to give out cupcakes for those children who have had birthdays in August, September and October? :roll:
I sent 3 :oops: , (well, I was responding to two e-mails from her) very polite e-mails advising her of my plans and suggesting that the Anaphylaxis Canada Speakers Bureau come and speak to all of the Leaders at some time real soon.
I hate holidays, I can't imagine what she'll do at Christmas.

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:28 pm 

Susan- ugh! How frustrating. Is your Daughter the only ana child? The entire thought of the bobbing for apples is enough to make us sick to our stomachs, but if she ( the leader and your daughter not wanting to feel left out)does want to go through with it, is it possible that your daughter goes first to avoid any cross contamination?

2 yr old DS -no known allergies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:56 pm 
Site Admin

I wasn't sure how many children had food allergies. The e-mail stated
Quote:
Some of the sparks in this unit have sever life threating allergies.

As it turns out the Leader is unable to attend tonight as she has tickets to the Senators game, so they are for going anything food related.
Gotta love those Sens! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:16 pm 
Site Admin

Susan, I love your sense of humour.

Bobbing for apples seems really dated and, in addition to allergy considerations, isn't there just a general 'ick' and germ factor (colds, flus)?

She probably meant well - apples are at least nutritious. Just not the smartest idea.

Go Sens. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:36 am 

Is it the old (traditional) or new way to bob for apples? The new way isn't really bobbing, but it safer for allergies and *ick*.

The apples need to have a strong stem -- tie it so the apple is hanging and the blindfolded person has to grab it with their teeth. Sparks are young and they may not need the blindfold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 11:27 am 

Well this has nothing to do with Apples, but everything to do with Halloween...

I just saw a note besides my daycare's door that a dentist office here is paying kids for their Halloween candies on November 1st!! It's 1$/pound!!! I thought this was a neat idea for older allergic kids, who could get money for all their unsafe candies!!! :)

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:33 am 
Site Admin

Last minute shopping for the Great Pumpkin and I found some foam stickers in the shape of pumpkins with little black foam stickers in the shape of eyes and mouths so that you can create jack-o-lanterns. The package contains over 20 so I'll send them to school. I've already sent spooky erasers to be handed out.
I'm trying to show them that there are alternatives to food when celebrating at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:53 pm 

I just came home from dropping my sons off for the dreaded school Halloween party...and for the first year ever I'm actually feeling pretty good about it. Both of my sons teachers only allow 1 homemade treat for the party, there will also be a fruit platter, and Pringles chips for one class, and cheese and crackers for the other. So I made them each their own fruit plate, and cheese and crackers for one (that way no worries about cross contam.). I was able to volunteer to make safe cupcakes for 1 class. Someone else had already volunteered for the other, but the treat will be egg free (I sent my son with his own cupcake anyway though of course). Any candy that kids bring in to be shared with the class will be put in loot bags to be opened at home only.

And best of all, when I went in to drop off my contributions one teacher told me that someone had brought in store-bought cupcakes without asking her beforehand, and she had SENT THEM BACK WITH THE PARENTS!!! So the teacher is actually more concerned with my son's safety than with not offending or disappointing other parents!!! Wow.

So 1 treat only allowed, and all candy to remain unopened. And teachers who really seem to get it. Wow. I wish our old school could see this...that a school can create a 'safer', inclusive environment, that is also healthier for all the kids. I just couldn't be happier :D.

I hope everyone else's Halloween is safe and fun too.

Both with many environmental allergies, asthma and eczema

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Have a good and safe time out there tonight, those who are trick or treating.

And may the Great Pumpkin be kind to all those who leave candies for him/her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 3:38 pm 

twinmom, sounds like halloween is going to be a lot of fun for your boys!! AND it's nice to see that school can deal with allergies in a non dramatic way, and that you feel good about leaving your sons to celebrate! :D

DS Francois - 1 - No allergies so far...

Post subject: school party
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:18 pm 

At my sons' school they sent home a letter to ALL the classes basically saying: If you send in food loot bags they will be returned even if they are nut free!! They were going to all rotate into the gym for a dance and the classroom party would be food free! I felt really comfortable today - now let's get through tonight!

4 yr old - ana to egg, dairy, peanuts/nuts, peaches
8 yr old = ana to peanuts/nuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:30 am 
Site Admin

Our daughter came home with 4 pencils, 3 spooky erasers, 2 small pages of stickers, some art work unvolving the jack-o-lantern stickers and a couple of plastic spiders.
I was a bit worried as her teacher was home with a sick child October 30. Our daughter advised us that her teacher had arranged for her husband to stay home October 31 if needed.
The Great Pumpkin was very pleased with her offering and has graciously bestowed upon her a High School Musical DVD, a Little Pet Shop activity book and a Little Pet Shop pet (a cat of course, the Great Pumpkin knows all :wink: ).
After we went through her candy, she had 7 bags of potato chips and 10 candies that;
1. She could eat and
2. She actually liked
She traded a few of her allergen laden candies with a friend for some safe treats.
A good time was had by all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:21 pm 

I was so proud of ds last night. If he saw what people were handing out he'd jump back and say "no no no I'm not allowed that!! MOM he's trying to give me peanuts" A few houses he told them no thank you and hopped off the step and wished them a Happy halloween and went to the next house with nothing :D :D :D It was so cute.

Once we got home he waited till we sorted through everything and wasn't upset at all at how his pile got smaller. Dh took all the Peanuty treats to the bar to hand out :lol:

me: shrimp, mangos, environmental

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:34 pm 

We had a good year too! It seems a lot of our neighbours know and get safe treats, or stickers for us. We only had a few evil treats for the great pumpkin who traded them for Lil' Kinz. The girls were actually happy when they got some bad treats...since they needed them for the great pumpkin. My girls also got rockets, stickers, a pencil and fuzzy peaches from dance, gymnastics and skating.

Husband- asthma, eggs, treenuts, fish, shellfish environmental
Self - penicillan, eurithromiacin, mild laytex allergy.