You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:45 pm 

I was so dismayed and also shocked when we visited I wasn't even up for posting.

Get this... Science World, presumably a place that schools also have trips for education. There is not a "no foods" policy. We left with our kids when we were in the children's area - very hands on as you can imagine. Looking around, there was a mom giving her drooly toddler havarti cheese and kids running around with all sorts of food. Found food bits at the different stations. I would have thought that for germ control, hygiene and cleaning alone that you should have food to designated areas, never mind the growing allergic concern. (It was SCIENCE world after all...) Nope. In fact there are treat concessions (candy bars, what looked like buttered popcorn) that you can purchase priority allergen laden "goodies" and then traipse through as you please.

Felt very alone and disappointed. Also surprised when no one batted an eye at a mother giving out PB&J sandwiches. Doesn't affect us, but there seems to be so much awareness about PB I was sure this was widely perceived as a no-no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:24 pm 

Why is it that food is absolutely everywhere these days?? Is there no place where food consumption is considered inappropriate?? This is a fairly recent phenomenon... I don't remember, as a young child or teen, that I could eat anywhere I felt like. Isn't this damaging to the displays at Science World? It really is surprising and disappointing.

12 yr old son: allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, fish, sesame, sunflower, mustard, poppy seeds, green peas, some fruits, instructed to avoid all other legumes (except soy & green beans), pollen, cats, horses

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:06 pm 
Site Admin

I have been to the Museum of Science and Technology here in Ottawa and there are staff everywhere. If I saw something like that I would report it to a staff member.
If you don't enforce your rules, you don't have any!

Me: allergies to some tree that flowers in May
Cat: allergic to beef, pork and lamb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:33 pm 

Julie - I agree. Allergies aside, it is simply gross! Allergies in the mix and it becomes exclusionary by default. I can't imagine living there and sending an allergic child on a school trip!

Susan - once we saw the scope of the food situation, we raised it with staff, certain that something would be done... Nope. This is by design. They welcome people to eat anywhere. Anything, anywhere. It was truly shocking to us. Of course when we shared our "can you believe?!" with family, we saw the blank stare that essentially told us "normal" people don't see a problem :(