You are viewing Allergic Living Canada | Switch to United States

Talking Allergies

* FAQ    * Search
* Login   * Register
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:42 pm 

I think this topic fits under allergy related items. Two weeks ago or maybe three, CBC"s Marketplace had a show on how the "Product of Canada" label is used. It was amazing. The host followed up on many products claiming to be a product of Canada when in fact they were only processed in Canada. In one case, fish came from China was sent by ship through the Panama Canal to the Maritimes to be processed in the plant there and then sold as a "Product of Canada." They also found that some brands of ice cream contained ingredients from other countries also.

Then a week later, I heard on CBC radio Fresh Air, that apple juice labeled "product of Canada" was in many cases not made from Canadian apples. This really blew me away because I live in apple country. According to the guest who works in the apple industry here, if your apple juice is made from concentrate it is most likely made from apples from out of country (likely China). If your apple juice is made from fresh apples, then it is made from Canadian apples. I started reading my juice cans closely. Allen's apple juice in the tin is made from fresh apples.

I think for those of us with allergies, knowing the source of our food is incredibly important. Labelling laws for allergens is somewhat lacking here in Canada but what are the regulations in other countries? If we do not know the true source of foods how can we make informed safe decisions when we buy food. I have called my MP about this and am working on a letter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 9:02 pm 

CBC Marketplace does such good work. I do hope the government makes labelling laws that leave fewer loopholes. That's great that you are pursuing this issue--with all the concerns about China's manufacturing policies, it is probably a time when you might get your MP's attention.